Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I have multiple albums ripped from vinyl that are much softer than most of the "modern" stuff. I would like to adjust these tracks using the volume adjustment in the "Get Info" window. I know iTunes (and I am probably showing my age here) used to display something like a dB frequency analyzer for each channel in the window where the song title, track#, time, etc is. You used to be able to click on something to the right of the title and switch between views. I thought the might be helpful in trying to adjust the tracks, but I don't find it. Is it gone or am I just missing where it is after all these updates? Anything else I could use to get a feeling for the track volume for adjustment?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Right click song, then Get Info > Options > Volume Adjust (slide to adjust). This is in iTunes on Mac.
Yes, thanks. I know that was there and that's what I want to use, but the only option, at this point, that I know of is to adjust based on what I hear. I am looking for a way to adjust based on some sort of dB analysis, which iTunes used to display.

Even the equalizer does not show any kind of spectral analysis.

alex.houston

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Indiana
Yep that's true, iTunes menu > Window >Equalizer only has knobs to adjust, no spectrum. If you need to see spectrum, you could import audio file into Garageband and use Visual EQ there (analyzer checkbox need to be ticked in the Visual EQ window).

[doublepost=1477358928][/doublepost]
I have multiple albums ripped from vinyl that are much softer than most of the "modern" stuff. I would like to adjust these tracks using the volume adjustment in the "Get Info" window. I know iTunes (and I am probably showing my age here) used to display something like a dB frequency analyzer for each channel in the window where the song title, track#, time, etc is. You used to be able to click on something to the right of the title and switch between views. I thought the might be helpful in trying to adjust the tracks, but I don't find it. Is it gone or am I just missing where it is after all these updates? Anything else I could use to get a feeling for the track volume for adjustment?
I saw a pic of the analyzer you are talking about at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4556890?tstart=0
I totally forgot that ever existed. It seems it was removed years ago. Bummer.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Yep that's true, iTunes menu > Window >Equalizer only has knobs to adjust, no spectrum. If you need to see spectrum, you could import audio file into Garageband and use Visual EQ there (analyzer checkbox need to be ticked in the Visual EQ window).

[doublepost=1477358928][/doublepost]
I saw a pic of the analyzer you are talking about at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4556890?tstart=0
I totally forgot that ever existed. It seems it was removed years ago. Bummer.
Thanks for the Garage Band suggestion. A little awkward to go between apps to do this, but that might be my only option if I don't want to just "listen and adjust" in iTunes. I also get lost anytime I do anything in Garage Band, it's a little overwhelming to me. I do have Audacity, which is a little simpler. That might be an option too.

And thanks for mentioning that the analyzer existed. After a lot of googling, I couldn't find any reference to it and was starting to wonder if it was all an illusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.