Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Was out walking with some students todays and got back to base to discover my iP4 was missing. I had been doing some photography with Pro HDR (another great app) and dropped it in long grass on the side of the road. But i remembered i had FoneHome running on it (which i had not touched more weeks, and was still running perfectly even after reboots and OS updates). So i borrowed a students HTC Hero to access the FH website and see where it was and sound the siren. Found it in no time.

I honestly dont think i would have found it without this app as we walk about 6 miles in the country, certainly not before the weather damaged it.

So stoked, best £1.19 i have spent and my fav app forever more!

I have no affiliation with this app, just wanted to post a success story :)

Buy it!!! http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fonehome-phone-tracker-find/id378450421?mt=8
Can I have a promo code please :D

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Reboot the phone, the app stops running.

Kill the process, the app stops running.

Use up your RAM, the app stops running.

No thanks. I'll keep Mobile Me.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Not true. Well i cant speak for iPhone but i assume they work the same way. On my Vibrant (Android) as long as i have the App for which mine is called "find my phone", i just send it the text "find me" from another phone and it sends the other phone the GPS location of my phone. Whatever reason you need to justify paying for Mobile Me is fine with me but i believe you are wrong.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
And that, my friend, is why you fail at the internet.

They do NOT work the same way.

I've been wrong many times, about many things, but not this time.

You may be wrong again. I was talking about the APP, not the phones being the same. No kidding the phones are different. Ive had an iPhone for two years. Still have one. And tell you what,... If the APP dont work the same and works like you say it does, then thats another FAIL for iPhone and another PLUS for Android. Screw paying for Mobile Me.

Did you even click on the link to read any of it?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

Nope. Nope and nope.

Shows how much you understand the iOS multitasking. For all it's faults it's very robust. I installed the app months ago. Since then I have updated to iOS 4.02 and 4.1 and rebooted my iPhone many times. The app was still running, never had to start it again. I have well over 100 apps on my iPhone and have never seen one dumped due to lack of memory, although i have seen it slow down a bit. The only thing to effect if is to power it off, same a MobileMe. But it starts again and submits its location if it's turned back on. Very low battery usage too.

I'm not sure how useful it would be to recover a stolen iPhone, possible but great for general loss.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Was out walking with some students todays and got back to base to discover my iP4 was missing. I had been doing some photography with Pro HDR (another great app) and dropped it in long grass on the side of the road. But i remembered i had FoneHome running on it (which i had not touched more weeks, and was still running perfectly even after reboots and OS updates). So i borrowed a students HTC Hero to access the FH website and see where it was and sound the siren. Found it in no time.

I honestly dont think i would have found it without this app as we walk about 6 miles in the country, certainly not before the weather damaged it.

So stoked, best £1.19 i have spent and my fav app forever more!

I have no affiliation with this app, just wanted to post a success story :)

Buy it!!! http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fonehome-phone-tracker-find/id378450421?mt=8

Wow this seems great! You can even take a remote picture and sound an alarm even if the phone is on vibrate.

Thanks for the heads up.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Nope. Nope and nope.

Shows how much you understand the iOS multitasking.

I understand it just fine. Third party apps don't actually run in the background. Only specific processes do.

If they're somehow able to make it work, then you're right. I don't know how they're doing it.

If I am wrong, then I will gladly take the fault, but I already have Mobile Me, and I am not going to pay for this app just to test it.

Mobile Me is so much more than just loss recovery. And if you know how to buy it, you can get it for less than $60 per year.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No thanks. I will keep my Mobile Me account, as is gives me more than just the ability to track a lost/stolen phone.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
At $60 PER YEAR, that is way too much. I think that App is roughly a $1.50. You can buy about 40 more apps for $60 to make your phone better and pay it once than paying yearly for Mobile Me.

It all comes down to your perception of value, and what you will use it for.

I use mine for much more than just Find My iPhone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
It all comes down to your perception of value, and what you will use it for.

I use mine for much more than just Find My iPhone.

I understand that and im saying you can get many more apps for less that will do more for you than just find your phone for the price of paying yearly for Mobile Me. Paying yearly for Mobile Me imo is a ripoff but thats Apple.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I read this thread yesterday and bought Latitudie because I was thinking about MobileMe. This is a great app and does as advertised. The app was smooth and stayed ON for as long as my iPhone was on. I haven't tried turning off my iPhone yet because I NEVER turn it off except for firmware reboots. Zero memory or performance issues. People who say the app has bugs or shuts off haven't tried the app on an iP4. Not only can I track and keep a history of my movement but I can do the same with my wife's phone because I installed it on her iPhone as well. My Mother can track me from her PC in Canada too.

For $2.00 Latitudie is obviously a much better value than MobileMe. The other advantage over MobileMe is that you don't need yet another email account. I will admit though, if MobileMe becomes $30 or less I'd make the switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.