Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flagg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
I've ordered the i7/4/256, which is in transit from China and should arrive in the middle of next week. Here's the dilemma: today, my other half and I talked about our computer situation and decided that buying a refurb iMac would be best for the house, independently of my laptop. We're going to buy this unit in a month.

But if we're going to get one of those, I can simply make do with the standard Apple store $1199 11" model and would love the $$$ back for the down-trade.

There's an Apple store here in town. Can I just take the unopened unit to them to trade them for the standard model and store credit? Do I have to work entirely online with the main Apple store? What should I say to them? Any advice on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
All you have to do is an exchange. It's not hard. No need to say certain things. Just say that you would like to make an exchange for a different laptop and they'll do it for you.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
All you have to do is an exchange. It's not hard. No need to say certain things. Just say that you would like to make an exchange for a different laptop and they'll do it for you.

Does that apply to only unopened boxes, or also to opened boxes? Thinking about trading my i7 13" in for an i5 (what I wanted in the first place, but the store was out) because it is running a bit hot and loud.

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Even if it's open, you can exchange with no fees as long as it is within the window to do so.

nebulos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
as far as i know, you won't be able to return this to the store and will have to mail it back to the return center. but, obviously, you can just call and ask.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
It's pretty simple really.
Apple handles in-store purchase returns and exchanges in-store.
Apple handles online purchase returns and exchanges online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.