Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nessie234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
My friend is having serious iCloud issues that cannot be resolved even after spending days working on it with Apple. Apple essentially conceded that point and had her create a new Apple ID. She is going to buy a new iPhone XS and then she is going to log into her new phone with her new Apple ID. However, her contacts, photos and texts are still going to be on her old iPhone 7 Plus which is using the old Apple ID that is corrupt and beyond salvaging (long story). Does a physical Apple Store have the ability to plug in both phones into a machine and transfer just data from the old phone to the new one? If not, what other alternatives are available to transfer just data like contacts, photos and texts from her old iPhone 7 Plus to her new iPhone XS? ***please keep in mind that restoring from iCloud backup is not an option and neither is backing up her old iPhone 7 plus to iTunes via computer*** She's tried everything to make those two things work without success and so we have given up on that option. I would really appreciate any advice you have.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPhone 7 Plus would be using her old, corrupt Apple ID and her new iPhone XS would be using her new Apple ID. Would the Quick Start option work to transfer data if the phones are using different Apple IDs?
That I'm not sure about. You'd likely have a hard time finding something that wouldn't involve iCloud and different Apple IDs id the existing device is using iCloud/Apple ID for something. Maybe if you sign out of it all on the existing device and have data on the phone itself and have the transfer happen that way (and then sign into the new Apple ID on the new device after things transfer into it locally).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If it's just iCloud/AppleID issue, should be able to take old phone, sign out of iCloud. When prompted to keep data on phone or delete, tap keep. Sign into new AppleID on old phone, tap "merge" when prompted for the various data types. New iCloud/AppleID should now have a copy of the old phone's data.

But from the sound of things, if iTunes backup is not working, might be a lost cause as it sounds like the old phone is really corrupted in some way. Have yet to see where iTunes could not back up successfully.

And if some major corruption, the Quick Start option my also run into issues. Or more likely, drag over the old issues onto the new phone.

Might have to setup the new device as a new phone and not transfer over anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.