Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assscat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I have a new iBook, to which I want to transfer the email settings, address book and iCal calendars from my iMac. Both are running Tiger and have airport, and I have an airport extreme base station.

What is the easiest way to do this?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Put the iMac in Target mode. Connect the two computers via Firewire. Open up Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder on the iBook. It's a pretty easy program to use.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
sorry to resurrect/hijack/take over this thread, but i have a simple question similar to the OP's. I'm getting a pbook coming in today and want pretty much what's exactly on my ibook transferred over to my pbook (e-mail settings, applications, bookmarks, everything). would i do the same as stated by grapes911? If so, how do i put my pbook as the Target? Thanks.

daniel

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
wow, mad jew, you're helping me out wherever I go!! First the ibook battery thing, and now this... Anyways, using the target disk mode seems to make my new mac basically an external HD and gives me the ability to simply move files and such over. Would I simply be able to copy over my HD from my ibook to my pbook and voila, everything is transferred? Or would i have to use a program like migration assistant like grapes911 mentioned?

daniel

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Dandaman said:
wow, mad jew, you're helping me out wherever I go!! First the ibook battery thing, and now this... Anyways, using the target disk mode seems to make my new mac basically an external HD and gives me the ability to simply move files and such over. Would I simply be able to copy over my HD from my ibook to my pbook and voila, everything is transferred? Or would i have to use a program like migration assistant like grapes911 mentioned?

daniel

Use the Migration Assistant so files go where they are supposed to go. The MA will prompt you for what you want to transfer.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
thanks for all the help guys. this is what makes macrumors so great. one of the reasons I switched was because of all the helpful information i received from the forums while i was considering the switch. anyways, i'll try all this out once the pbook arrives and i'll let you guys know how it went. thanks again

daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.