Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HannaLK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a new G4 powerbook and a new iPod, but I can't figure out how to transfer my music from my old PC. I know there's tons of info out there on this topic, but my specific problem is that my PC won't recognize my iPod, even as an external hard drive, because it has the dreaded and incompatible Windows ME. Also, the burner is broken on the PC, which rules that out as a method of transferring. I know there's a way to set up a network, but i'm having a rough time doing it. Can anyone help me?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
no, your iPod is probably already formatted as HFS, Windows won't be able to read it.

you could try reformating your iPod to MS-DOS with Disk Utility... but i've never tried that but it's worth a shot.

you could probably set-up a network between just the two computers, i've had a hard time with that as well though. i think that edesignuk made a Mac>PC networking guide some time back, it was pretty good. it used to be a sticky in the forums, just do a search for it.

it wouldn't hurt to read Apple's KnowlegeBase as well, they've got a few documents about it.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
cb911 said:
i think that edesignuk made a Mac>PC networking guide some time back, it was pretty good. it used to be a sticky in the forums, just do a search for it.
Duff-man says...ahhh..you mean this one - yeah, that was a good one..hopefully it helps this time...oh yeah!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
yeah Duff-Man!! :D that's the one i'm talking about, sitting right up the top in General Apple & Tech discussion forum.

well you can tell which forum i haven't been visiting recently. ;) :p

mojo2go

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2004
SE Wisconsin
HannaLK said:
.... the burner is broken on the PC, which rules that out as a method of transferring....

You could always try using a USB memory stick to transfer your tunes from your PC to your new Powerbook & have the iPod grab them from there. This worked fine for me.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Creating a network drive accessable to my PC and Mac was easy as pie.

All I did was create a shared drive in Windows XP, and then I wen't to Connect to Server from the Go Menu in OS X and the shared drive was listed.

I did it a while ago, so there may have been another step, but it was definitely very simple.

btw, I transfer songs from computer to computer all the time using this drive. :)

scem0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.