Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Hello,
I spent some hours yesterday manually transferring files from my Nokia to an iPhone, only to find out there was a dedicated app for this. "Move to iOS". However I found that you had to reset the iPhone and do it from scratch. I opted not to because I would undo all my work and I didn't know what would get transferred (maybe clutter as well, maybe not everyone I'd already transferred).

But now I'm trying to transfer my whatsapp chats to the iPhone. One way is with Move to iOS. All of the other ways I've found required paid apps. Does anyone know of another free way to do this?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hello,
I spent some hours yesterday manually transferring files from my Nokia to an iPhone, only to find out there was a dedicated app for this. "Move to iOS". However I found that you had to reset the iPhone and do it from scratch. I opted not to because I would undo all my work and I didn't know what would get transferred (maybe clutter as well, maybe not everyone I'd already transferred).

But now I'm trying to transfer my whatsapp chats to the iPhone. One way is with Move to iOS. All of the other ways I've found required paid apps. Does anyone know of another free way to do this?
Easy. Assuming you have not created the same Whatsapp account/number on your iphone.

Requirements: you have to have icloud storage larger than your WhatsApp backup. Go to your android and see how big the backup on Google Drive. Make sure you have more than that on icloud.

Also, this only works with the main WhatsApp account. It doesn't work with WhatsApp business nor secondary WhatsApp account created with twin apps or dual apps.

1. BACKUP your iphone to your PC or iCloud. Make sure the backup is done. If you don't do this, you will lose everything. You have been warned. Also BACKUP your WhatsApp on Android to Google Drive just to be safe
2. Reset your iphone to factory.
3. Install move to iOS on the Android.
4. Set up the iphone as new, follow instructions to transfer data from Android, run move to iOS on Android and follow the instructions. Check to transfer just the WhatsApp chat history. DO NOT RESET YOUR ANDROID until you verify all the chat are successfully transferred
5. After it's all done, finish setting up the iphone as new. Sign in to your iCloud account on your iphone, install Whatsapp from the app store, go to whatsapp, and verify all your chat is there. If everything is good, initiate WhatsApp backup to icloud from the WhatsApp app. Make sure to also backup videos if you want to. Verify that it's done.
6. Reset your iphone again to factory
7. Restore your old phone backup that you did on number 1 from your PC/iCloud to the iphone. Install Whatsapp and restore its chat backup from no 5 from icloud. It should find it automatically.

I don't recommend any other methods. They don't work. All those paid apps lie, at least in my experience.

Reactions: mystery hill

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Easy. Assuming you have not created the same Whatsapp account/number on your iphone.

Requirements: you have to have icloud storage larger than your WhatsApp backup. Go to your android and see how big the backup on Google Drive. Make sure you have more than that on icloud.

Also, this only works with the main WhatsApp account. It doesn't work with WhatsApp business nor secondary WhatsApp account created with twin apps or dual apps.

1. BACKUP your iphone to your PC or iCloud. Make sure the backup is done. If you don't do this, you will lose everything. You have been warned. Also BACKUP your WhatsApp on Android to Google Drive just to be safe
2. Reset your iphone to factory.
3. Install move to iOS on the Android.
4. Set up the iphone as new, follow instructions to transfer data from Android, run move to iOS on Android and follow the instructions. Check to transfer just the WhatsApp chat history. DO NOT RESET YOUR ANDROID until you verify all the chat are successfully transferred
5. After it's all done, finish setting up the iphone as new. Sign in to your iCloud account on your iphone, install Whatsapp from the app store, go to whatsapp, and verify all your chat is there. If everything is good, initiate WhatsApp backup to icloud from the WhatsApp app. Make sure to also backup videos if you want to. Verify that it's done.
6. Reset your iphone again to factory
7. Restore your old phone backup that you did on number 1 from your PC/iCloud to the iphone. Install Whatsapp and restore its chat backup from no 5 from icloud. It should find it automatically.

I don't recommend any other methods. They don't work. All those paid apps lie, at least in my experience.
Thank you very very much for taking the time to write that out. I'm almost done with the whole process. Right now it's downloading apps in the background (ones I had downloaded manually yesterday, before resetting), but it keeps asking me for passwords for these different Apple ID's that I don't recognize. Well, I did recognize one of them. It was the email address of my old roommate from 15 years ago. It said that lots of content was purchased with those ID's but I don't understand. In fact, I'm on the main screen and these messages keep popping up.

I restarted the phone, but now it keeps giving me those Apple ID popups for emails I don't recognize. It has also asked me to unlock my SIM 3 times. Any idea what is happening? I literally can't do anything now cause of these constant poppups

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thank you very very much for taking the time to write that out. I'm almost done with the whole process. Right now it's downloading apps in the background (ones I had downloaded manually yesterday, before resetting), but it keeps asking me for passwords for these different Apple ID's that I don't recognize. Well, I did recognize one of them. It was the email address of my old roommate from 15 years ago. It said that lots of content was purchased with those ID's but I don't understand. In fact, I'm on the main screen and these messages keep popping up.

I restarted the phone, but now it keeps giving me those Apple ID popups for emails I don't recognize. It has also asked me to unlock my SIM 3 times. Any idea what is happening? I literally can't do anything now cause of these constant poppups
Errr, whose iPhone is that? Why does it keep asking someone else’s Apple ID? Only you will know the answer to that, not a stranger in a forum like me.

dapork

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
Errr, whose iPhone is that? Why does it keep asking someone else’s Apple ID? Only you will know the answer to that, not a stranger in a forum like me.
Lol it's a gift from my mom and I doubt it's stolen. But I think it's from a 3rd party since it didn't come in an Apple box. Neither of the times listed as iCloud backups were the time that I had actually backed up, and as I mentioned it showed my old roomie's email address. Since this all sounds foreign. my guess is it's just glitching. Not to mention I've had it "synching" for 7 hours (just my music), when yesterday it finished in an hour. Now I don't know how to eject or stop synching the thing and I'm afraid to unplug it from the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.