Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziz2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Hi,
I recently had a harddrive wipage and need to transfer my songs from my iPod to my Hard Drive. I have downloaded iPod Rip.

However, when I plug in my iPod, iTunes starts up and the default setting is to automatically update the iPod (meaning it will erase all my songs).

How do hook up my iPod without riskin iTunes erasing everything?

I turned off iSync, but there is no setting I can find to make iTunes not automatically update my iPod (which is the default).

Thanks,

Aziz

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Honestly I think you just have to click the iPod icon that shows up right away, or hit the little 'x' in the display window to stop it from updating. Would it be possible to do this on a different computer? At least there the iPod won't be 'linked' to the computer, so it won't try to update anything.

Othe rthan that, I'm interested in this answer also if anybody else knows.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
if i plug in my ipod while under a different user, it asks me if i want to wipe so this type of accident doesn't happen... i'm sure it'd be the same way for you... itunes knows that it is not linked with an ipod, and you'd have to click a dialog for it to erase the ipod...

reality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.