Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Just going from a MacPro 5,1 to a M2 Mini Pro and I thought I had this all sorted - I wanted to move my entire 60k tracks and playlists from my SATA drive in the Mp to an external SSD for the mini - I thought it would be a case of just pointing iTunes to the correct Music folder on the SSD (after I had copied the entire contents of that folder from the MP) by using Option when opening the Music app for the first time.

I have just done that and all the tracks are there and the playlists but it wont play anything - it just says it needs to locate each track as I click on it :( Obviously i have missed a step somewhere - Anyone know what I have done wrong ?

Just tried it again and at the point where it says Choose music library I notice it wont just let me choose the Music library folder it wants me to click on the .musiclibrary file.....I am sure it didn't do the first time round....

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just to let you know...

You can KEEP USING iTunes on the new Mac, if you wish.

Download the free utility called "Retroactive" from here:

BE AWARE that although you may get an "untested" alert when using it with Sonoma, it will still download and install iTunes without problems. Works for me on my versions of Sonoma (both on Intel and m-series Macs).

I recommend that you give this a try, and see if it helps.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
It's a nice idea but I would rather embrace this new software and move forward - its obviously something silly I am missing as I have all the right files etc.... Somewhen here will know and currently I am importing direct into the music app (en masse) to see if they end up in the right playlists....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.