Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
What's the easiest way to transfer photos to a friends iPad (from either another ipad or from macbook) that I obviously don't want to sync w/my iTunes or anything?
Would something like Dropbox be the easiest? Maybe by installing Dropbox onto friends iPad and then download the pics and then delete the Dropbox app?

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
What's the easiest way to transfer photos to a friends iPad (from either another ipad or from macbook) that I obviously don't want to sync w/my iTunes or anything?
Would something like Dropbox be the easiest? Maybe by installing Dropbox onto friends iPad and then download the pics and then delete the Dropbox app?

Dropbox would be the easiest way indeed. iOS6's shared photo stream will make it even easier!

But for now Dropbox. I don't however understand why you want to delete the app afterwards. o.o

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Well "friend" is my mother in law and Dropbox is far beyond her technology capabilities. So she really doesn't need it / won't ever use it (her iPad is majority picture viewer/FaceTime device).
I, on the other hand, couldn't survive without Dropbox lol.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I wonder if the iPad will transfer from one to another using camera kit + USB sync cable. It works from iPhone to iPad, so it should conceivably work from one iPad to another.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
I wonder if the iPad will transfer from one to another using camera kit + USB sync cable. It works from iPhone to iPad, so it should conceivably work from one iPad to another.

Will try that tonight with my lil brother's iPad when he comes over, and let you know!

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Unfortunately all the photos she wants are not on my iPad... I think I signed up for more then expected when I agreed to "set up" the iPad with wedding and grandkid photos... :-/
Dropbox doesn't have a way to download in bulk so I have to save individual photos. That's a PITA when there is 140+ photos. And it's taking hours to sync... Boo

----------

It does work! For camera roll / imported photos. Unfortunately for me not for photos/albums transferred from my MacBook to iPad through iTunes.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Sounds like your best options are:

- If she doesn't have her own photo library on a computer, Sync her iPad to your computer just for the pictures part.
- If she has her own photo library on her own computer, then merge yours in using a flash drive/ external HD.

Seems like your alternatives are nothing but a headache.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Does she have her own iCloud account already? If not, you could log in yourself on her iPad and sync to your Photostream...after that, she can save to her library on the iPad and you can log out or disable the stream.

J

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Sounds like your best options are:

- If she doesn't have her own photo library on a computer, Sync her iPad to your computer just for the pictures part.
- If she has her own photo library on her own computer, then merge yours in using a flash drive/ external HD.

Seems like your alternatives are nothing but a headache.

They don't have a photo library to sync as of yet but I also don't want to prevent one in the future. Using a pen drive and transferring photos to her computer may work- ill have to double check that the laptop (PC) they have here while visiting is the one they would sync to though...

----------

Does she have her own iCloud account already? If not, you could log in yourself on her iPad and sync to your Photostream...after that, she can save to her library on the iPad and you can log out or disable the stream.

J

Unfortunately not all of the photos are on the photo stream. Some are several years old.
Oh and no to the icloud. They are major Windows people and have no other iOS devices. I consider their purchase of an iPad a huge success on my part! Simplicity is key with mother-in-law, yet father-in-law prides himself on his knowledge and capabilties of Windows (although every time he visits he has some problem with his computer and/or phone crashing, erasing contacts, etc. I think our place just gives off an anti-window vibe disturbing his technology)

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Would that still result in individually saving 100+ photos onto the iPad? Or would I be able to send and save in bulk?

----------

If you both have iPhoto you can create a journal and send it to her.

They don't want to pay money for apps (I know, I know...major eyeroll)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Would that still result in individually saving 100+ photos onto the iPad? Or would I be able to send and save in bulk?

----------

They don't want to pay money for apps (I know, I know...major eyeroll)

As long as you have iPhoto on iOS then you can just send over a journal. They can pick it up as a webpage :)

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I ended up putting the pics on a pen drive, putting them on their laptop, and then syncing via iTunes (after getting father in law to download iTunes... He wasn't initially keen on the idea). Worked well but they all ended up out of order so that took a bit of re-working. Oh well it's all done now.

On the bright side my FIL is really really impressed with the iPad, thinks it'll be great for MIL, and is even thinking of getting his own. This is coming from one of the most anti-apple people I've met, I'm happy to say after five years I've at least broken the ice. I knew once he got his hands on one and used it he'd like it.

DavidAnatole

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
To transfer photos from your computer to your iPad, you need to have iTunes installed on your PC.
Connect your iPad to the computer with the data cable. Launch iTunes, and click on the iPad icon from under Devices. Click on the Photos tab, and check the box "Synch photos from." Click "Choose folder" from the drop-down menu, and select your picture folder.
Now that the folder is on iTunes, you can select the photos you want to transfer to your iPad, or transfer them all.
Finally, click the Synch/Apply button at the bottom right of the page. The pictures will transfer to your computer. Another option is to buy a photo transfer app for the iPad, which enables Wi-Fi photo transfers.
Or you may read more here: How to Transfer Photos from Computer to iPad

Last edited:

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Old thread but I will put in my info as well. If both devices are on the same wifi network you can use an app like Photosync on both devices to transfer photos and videos between them. Also, if both devices are on ios7 and capable of doing so, you can use airdrop to transfer them.

DavidAnatole

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
To transfer photos from your computer to your iPad, you need to have iTunes installed on your PC.
Connect your iPad to the computer with the data cable. Launch iTunes, and click on the iPad icon from under Devices. Click on the Photos tab, and check the box "Synch photos from." Click "Choose folder" from the drop-down menu, and select your picture folder.
Now that the folder is on iTunes, you can select the photos you want to transfer to your iPad, or transfer them all.
Finally, click the Synch/Apply button at the bottom right of the page. The pictures will transfer to your computer. Another option is to buy a photo transfer app for the iPad, which enables Wi-Fi photo transfers.
Or you may read more here: How to Transfer Photos from iPad to Computer
Also, remember to have iTunes installed first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.