Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
I'm planning on getting a 15" Powerbook right after the new ones are annoucned, and I have a question about getting my music from my PC to the Mac. I'm pretty sure at the point I have the Powerbook, the PC will be sold and gone, so I'll only have my AACs and MP3s (haven't converted everything to AAC yet) only on my iPod. Can I somehow dump all the music from the iPod onto the Powerbook? or will I have to store the music files as if the iPod is an external HD and then transfer them that way?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
So you can't just store the MP3s and AACs on the iPod as an external harddrive, and then transfer them to the Powerbook? That seems like it would be much more convient than buying a $10 program.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Gherkin said:
Can I somehow dump all the music from the iPod onto the Powerbook? or will I have to store the music files as if the iPod is an external HD and then transfer them that way?

I'm not sure how the iPod works when it's Windows-formatted; but the Mac-formatted ones have their files stored in a hidden directory. So to grab them it's just a matter of navigating to the hidden directory and copying them over.

ecche

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2003
a very kiwi place
Gherkin said:
So you can't just store the MP3s and AACs on the iPod as an external harddrive, and then transfer them to the Powerbook? That seems like it would be much more convient than buying a $10 program.

well, it obviously IS possible to transfer your mp3's from your ipod to your powerbook (or how else could an app like ipodrip do it?). it appears that apple made it a little difficult, though, as they do not want to encourage people to illegaly rip music... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.