Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Okay so I just got a Macbook the other day and I think I want to transfer my XML file form my Pc to my Mac. What I want to do is get all my play lists and play counts form my PC to my Mac. Is this possible? If so does anyone know how to do it? thanks.

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
i don't know if the windows version of itunes uses the same file format as the mac. but if it does, you need to copy the "iTunes Library" file. that's the goldmine of data. the XML file will be regenerated by itunes.

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Okay, I have that file on my Mac now but I can't figure out how to goet iTunes to recognize the data and change everything.

irregardless

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
all around you
1) leave your library file safely tucked away on your desktop. make a duplicate of it.
2) open itunes. it will ask you all the normal set up questions and then present you with an empty library
3) quit itunes
4) navigate to /Users/username/Music/iTunes
5) delete the iTunes Library file and the XML file
6) move you file from the desktop into the iTunes folder
7) re-open itunes and you should see your library just as you left it on your winbox. that's assuming this method works; i've never actually migrated from windows before, just mac-to-mac.

one problem you might (probably will) have is that your imported library won't know where any of your song files actually are.

good luck.

DwightSchrute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Thanks irregardless, you were right it doesn't know where about 2/3 of my songs are. No matter though, the important thing is I now have all the right playlists and, more importantly play counts. Thank you so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.