Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binaryduke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
I would like to update to 10.10.4 to enable trim support on my SSD.

I participated in the Yosemite Beta programme. Currently my Mac is on Beta 4. In Terminal, sw_vers reports ProductVersion 10.10 buildVersion 14A379b

Within the AppStore, I have (for many months) had an update to Beta 5 showing as available but it neither downloads nor is installable.

I have tried restarting my Mac into the Recovery Partition and reinstalling OS X. That takes me to ProductVersion 10.10 buildVersion 14A379b.

I have tried disabling the 'install beta version' option within System Preferences/App Store. This simply removes Beta 5 visibility from the App Store.

I have downloaded each incremental 10.10.x .dmg from Apple Support to try installing these individually in sequence. These simply report that the target volume is not in a state to accept the installation.

Help! (I posted this at the Apple support forum and the post was immediately removed as it was regarded by the forum police as a question about beta software which I would contend it's not but hey, what do I know other than having an ability to read grrrrr!).

Thanks in anticipation.

BD.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
You sure you have space to install?

You can also update via terminal

Code:
sudo softwareupdate -iva

binaryduke

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2015
Thanks for the tips. I have 90GB free(!). Command line implied permissions errors. Even after repairing permissions using Disk Utility it would still not upgrade.

In the end I was able to get 10.10.4 by downloading the full installer from the App Store and using that. Painful.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
In the end I was able to get 10.10.4 by downloading the full installer from the App Store and using that. Painful.
This was the only way to get from the 10.10 beta to even version 10.10 when it was released. There wasn't a separate updater to the release build, so updating to 10.10.4 wasn't any more painful than just going to 10.10 was back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.