Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I have a folder in my trash that I can't delete. Tried logging out, tried restarting, tried option clicking, tried emptying securely, etc. I also tried just dragging the folder off to my desktop and then renaming, and then deleting. But when I try and drag it off, it drags off a copy and keeps the original folder in the trash every single time. I am able to empty the trash without any errors, and every time I hear the empty trash sound. However, when I try and empty the trash securely, I get this error message:
The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

Any suggestions?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I also tried just dragging the folder off to my desktop and then renaming, and then deleting. But when I try and drag it off, it drags off a copy and keeps the original folder in the trash every single time.

Any suggestions?

Option-drag to move rather than copy?

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Have you tried terminal? *Disclaimer* One wrong keystroke and you could wipe your system. Be sure to insert a trailing space after the code before dragging the problem file or folder on top of the terminal window.

Code:
rm -rf
add a blank space, then drag the file or folder from the trash to the terminal window and hit enter.

Depending on your user account permission you may have to use sudo and provide an admin password to do it.

Code:
sudo rm -rf
add a blank space, then drag the file or folder from the trash to the terminal window and hit enter. Provide an admin password and hit enter again.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Have you tried terminal? *Disclaimer* One wrong keystroke and you could wipe your system. Be sure to insert a trailing space after the code before dragging the problem file or folder on top of the terminal window.

Code:
rm -rf
add a blank space, then drag the file or folder from the trash to the terminal window and hit enter.

Depending on your user account permission you may have to use sudo and provide an admin password to do it.

Code:
sudo rm -rf
add a blank space, then drag the file or folder from the trash to the terminal window and hit enter. Provide an admin password and hit enter again.

I am getting the same error for both. First it says input/output error, then directory not empty 3 times back to back to back. Still not workin :/

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I am getting the same error for both. First it says input/output error, then directory not empty 3 times back to back to back. Still not workin :/

Are you running Windows in Bootcamp at all? I recall this happening to me some years ago and it was initiated as a file corruption on the Bootcamp partition. I had to fire up Bootcamp in recovery mode and run chkdsk. It took forever because it was on a slow disk and a large partition but it resolved the problem.

If you're not running Windows I'm out of ideas.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Are you running Windows in Bootcamp at all? I recall this happening to me some years ago and it was initiated as a file corruption on the Bootcamp partition. I had to fire up Bootcamp in recovery mode and run chkdsk. It took forever because it was on a slow disk and a large partition but it resolved the problem.

If you're not running Windows I'm out of ideas.

I am actually. When I tried dragging the folder into terminal as mentioned above, it said the folder was in the .Trashes on my Bootcamp partition. So how exactly did you fix it?

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I am actually. When I tried dragging the folder into terminal as mentioned above, it said the folder was in the .Trashes on my Bootcamp partition. So how exactly did you fix it?

You can boot up into windows recovery mode or just boot into windows normally and start the command prompt as administrator. I'm guessing that you only have a C: drive. In the windows command prompt you'll need to type:
chkdsk /r c:
You'll get a warning that the drive is in use and would you like to schedule this on next restart. Answer y for Yes.
Restart windows and let chkdsk do it's thing. This may take quite a while. Be patient and let it finish.
This should fix the problem.
You can check out this video for reference. The first 3 minutes or so are particularly relevant to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0VivQ_xQI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.