Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
so funny! i have a 6S, but had to go back to the 5S to do some updating/installing and damn, i miss that nice compact size. i mean, its a PHONE. i have a tablet for tablet based activities, like posting on here - but for phoning, maps, recording steps/workouts, etc etc, i prefer a smaller form factor.
This is why im still on 5s. I simply cannot give up this form factor. Traveling through Istanbul and Seoul, I can't imagine wielding a bigger phone.

Reactions: Potus

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
This is why im still on 5s. I simply cannot give up this form factor. Traveling through Istanbul and Seoul, I can't imagine wielding a bigger phone.

I guess it's about what you use your phone for. If you are constantly making or receiving phone calls, one handed operation might be more important.

For media consumption, having a bigger screen is the obvious choice.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
So I bought a 6s Plus last week, but I just can't get used to the size. The phone is simply too big and clumsy in the hand - trying to whip it out quickly and use with one hand requires constant balancing and hand readjustments to reach the entire screen. I end up balancing the phone on my fingers which is a sure fire recipe for drops. When I need to reach the upper 25% of the screen I kinda slide/bounce the phone down in my hand...then slide/bounce it up when I'm done. The reach-ability thing feels like an extra step I'd rather not do - and it just doesn't feel natural on a touchscreen where my thumb wants to reach out and touch what I want without thinking. It's almost impossible to hold the phone up and use it one handed while laying down (like in the recliner while I'm watching TV). Using one hand to check something quickly in the car or messing with maps is just annoying!

Another issue I have is that pulling out the plus is almost a public event rather than a personal matter. The phone is so big that I feel like anyone near me can see what I'm doing. With the 6s you can sorta cuff it in your hand with a secure grip like the easy-to-one-hand 4 or 4s - it's really not that much bigger feeling to me (0.9" taller/0.33" wider/.09" slimmer). The 4.7" has that natural extension of the hand feeling which I feel is essential for a phone. It doesn't feel like it could get away from me. I can't see the 6s being hard to one hand for anyone with at least an average size woman hand.

And what about cases? I'm one of those that like to keep my expensive phone in pristine condition - how do you folks use a 6 plus with a case that adds say 1/4"+ to the width? I only used the plus without a case, but I can't imagine how bulky it must feel with a case that offers decent protection.

I can understand the plus being a tablet substitute for some, but I just don't see it happening for me. I don't have a tablet, but instead of using the plus like one, I'd rather get on my laptop. Phone on the go/killing time and laptop for when I want to get stuff done (like typing up this post). I NEVER used landscape on the plus or any other phone - granted I'm not a gamer.

The 6s takes good enough pictures for me and I'm guessing 90% would never see a difference. I can't see a difference based on what I've seen.

The screens look the same to me.

IMO, the 6s would be the perfect phone if it had a slightly bigger battery. Relative to the Plus, in test I've seen online, the 6s and 6s plus are separated by only an hour or less. That's not really game changing...especially if you always carry a charger in your car.

It was fun 6s+, but tomorrow I'm switching you out for the 6s.

BTW - I'm no tech geek so take it easy on me.

If you gently tap, not depressed, the home button twice in a row quickly the screen moves down so you can reach the top. I use my 6+ one handed all the time. Once I got you should this double tap it was fairly simple. I do enjoy the larger screen and all that visual real estate. It took me a week or two to get used to it but now that I am I don't even think about it, it's easy.

Reactions: Hackett00

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
No....I don't every feel this way and honestly you're the first one I've seen say something as silly as this. I live my life not worrying about if others are watching me because my life is none of their concern. As far as offering an opinion.... the difference between us is I didn't feel the need to share a story about a phone I don't like..... I commented on the content of your thread..... I felt no need to open up my life to the world.... the very thing you say you didn't like about the 6s plus..... thats the true irony.
At least one other person in this thread alone has said they agree with me. You might not like what we say, but that doesn't make it any less true for us. How is anyone opening their life up to the world by posting their opinion of a phone on an anonymous message board? Do you understand the point of message boards? You are continually giving your opinions about my opinions while complaining that I have an opinion about a phone (aka "opening one's life to the world". Doesn't that strike you as a tad bit hypocritical?

Reactions: silverblack

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
No....I don't every feel this way and honestly you're the first one I've seen say something as silly as this. I live my life not worrying about if others are watching me because my life is none of their concern. As far as offering an opinion.... the difference between us is I didn't feel the need to share a story about a phone I don't like..... I commented on the content of your thread..... I felt no need to open up my life to the world.... the very thing you say you didn't like about the 6s plus..... thats the true irony.

You obviously haven't read the forums, a lot of people have thought this and expressed this feeling.

It's a post, not a life story. You were the one being a little bit dramatic.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
If you gently tap, not depressed, the home button twice in a row quickly the screen moves down so you can reach the top. I use my 6+ one handed all the time. Once I got you should this double tap it was fairly simple. I do enjoy the larger screen and all that visual real estate. It took me a week or two to get used to it but now that I am I don't even think about it, it's easy.
Yeah, I tried that, but just didn't like it. It's an extra step that seems rather clunky - having my thumb reach out and touch whatever I want is very intuitive. Reachability also doesn't bring down the notification bar. Others have mentioned Samsung having a better method - I haven't tried it, but I do think Apple could do something better.

Reactions: mikezmac

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
The size of your hand makes all the difference in the world. If your hand isn't large or medium -large the 6S+ becomes a challenge rather than a dream.
People with smaller hands need a 6S to efficiently and productively operate their iPhone.

I am 6' tall and have large hands, and so handling the Plus phone isn't an issue. To me, it was seeing myself in the mirror with an oversized bulge in my pants pocket. I don't want to walk around looking like this everyday when meeting people at work! The 6S, being not even 1 inch shorter, made a dramatic difference in pocketability.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I am 6' tall and have large hands, and so handling the Plus phone isn't an issue. To me, it was seeing myself in the mirror with an oversized bulge in my pants pocket. I don't want to walk around looking like this everyday when meeting people at work! The 6S, being not even 1 inch shorter, made a dramatic difference in pocketability.

put in your back pocket= problem solved

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
put in your back pocket= problem solved

Good for you?

For me, my back pants pockets are just as visible as the front ones.

What's even worse is when the phone sticks out since some back pockets are shallow.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
A while back I went from a Note 3 to an iPhone 5c. Since then I've realized just how much easier it is to use phones below 5' in size. I've got a 6s and couldn't imagine using a 6s+.

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
I've been on my 6S Plus trial for a week and though it's good around the house or office, the one handed use in the NYC streets is not possible for me.
This battery life is hard to give up!

Attachments

• IMG_0976.PNG
    IMG_0976.PNG
    283.2 KB · Views: 159

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Whew, this all is such a tough, personal call.

I do love my first Plus (6s+), but I pulled out my 5s last night and know that I love it more, it just felt so comfortable and agile in my hands!

But I _think_ at _this point_ that I may stay with the 6s+. Whew, that that was hard to type - hahaa. My 14-day return period ends next Tuesday.

I'm really trying to stick with the 6s+. It is like talking to 2x4 against your head, but it's awesome for data purposes.

We'll see how this goes....

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I cannot rest the Plus on my pinkie and use it one handed as easily as I do the 6s. That is my preferred way of holding it.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Whew, this all is such a tough, personal call.

I do love my first Plus (6s+), but I pulled out my 5s last night and know that I love it more, it just felt so comfortable and agile in my hands!

But I _think_ at _this point_ that I may stay with the 6s+. Whew, that that was hard to type - hahaa. My 14-day return period ends next Tuesday.

I'm really trying to stick with the 6s+. It is like talking to 2x4 against your head, but it's awesome for data purposes.

We'll see how this goes....

I feel ya. I went back and forth all year. Got a 6 on launch day, 6+ in December, 6 in April that I sent back...the angst never ended lol!

I'll tell you this, if you stick it out, you'll get used to it. I have the 6s+ now and I'm not going back (I also pre ordered a 6s and on launch day I used it for an hour or so and put it right back in the box).

It's definitely a challenge (first world problem alert) having to pull it out of my pocket quickly while on the go, but I've decided it's worth it for me. Also consider, the 5s will likely be the last 4 inch screen. The world is quickly moving to 5 inches as a minimum. Might as well get accustomed to it now.

Reactions: phillytim

joygo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I had a launch day 6 and then went to a 6+ mid year this year... I ordered a 6s+ (numerous ones, long story), returned for a 6s and after a day couldn't stand how small it was and went on a search and lucked out to find a rose gold 128 6s+ because I was too used to the extra real estate.

I have small hands and a large purse and whether it was a 6s or a 6s+ I was using two hands to operate my phone. It was too hard to type with two hands on the 6s having come from plus.

Basically, it's the best device for me and I don't know why certain people need to post threads as if their ideal device/ situation is the same for others.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I stepped up gradually. My sequence was iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC One, Galaxy S5, Note 4, 6S Plus. I think this incremental progression helped smooth out the big phone shock factor.

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
Those that have a 6s+ dont read these threads because it will change your mind lol!!

Stick to what works for you. I had a 6+ retrurned and had a 6 and loved it but had 6+ envy. Got a 6S+ now and im happy.

But each time i read a negative thread about 6S+ it starts to make me doubt if i should try a 6S lol

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
Those that have a 6s+ dont read these threads because it will change your mind lol!!

Stick to what works for you. I had a 6+ retrurned and had a 6 and loved it but had 6+ envy. Got a 6S+ now and im happy.

But each time i read a negative thread about 6S+ it starts to make me doubt if i should try a 6S lol
Haha.. What to do.. That's human nature I guess. We always want the best of all the worlds we see around.. If tomorrow Apple comes up with a 6" phone there would still be people envious of it and go for it no matter how uncomfortable it might be to carry around and use..

JoePa2624

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
AZ
I had a 128gb 6+ to begin with last year and ended up trading it for a 64gb 6. This year I got a 64gb 6s because that's all that was available, but returned it this afternoon because I just like big phones. I currently have a Nexus 6 also, and couldn't get used to the small screen and significantly worse battery life than the 6+.

I'll wait until I can find a 64 or 128gb space grey 6s+. Far better battery, OiS and larger screen make the size differential worth it. Plus, I type more accurately with the bigger phone.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I cannot rest the Plus on my pinkie and use it one handed as easily as I do the 6s. That is my preferred way of holding it.

That's how I hold mine!! (I have large hands so I can hold my plus like that too)

I got a slim case with rubber though so it has a lot of grip to it. The Spek Candyshell grip made a massive difference and didn't make it bulky.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I went from a regular iphone 6 to the iphone 6s Plus and i have to say...after about 4 days. I'm completely used to it and I love it. I actually love it more for the battery than anything else. It's been a great phone and I'm happy with my switch.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Speaking for myself, I know that a lot of the reason why I have been able to adapt to the 6s Plus is entirely psychological. When I first saw 6 Plus last year, I thought it was monstrous, but I was still intrigued by the large screen and the beautiful build (a first for a giant phone when it came out). Eventually, I found myself desiring the phone more and more, and as that happened, it started to seem much more manageable to me.

Basically, I wanted to get used to it because I liked it so much. Now that I have the 6s Plus, sure, it's not as easy to hold as a 4.7"-screened Moto X--few phones are--but I've found a way to make it work for me. I don't want to use a smaller-screened phone anymore, so my desire and willingness to get used to the 6s Plus tips the scales in its favor whenever I encounter any awkwardness, which is increasingly rare now.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
The 6s Plus is good for women who carry purses or men who have enormous pockets like male clowns, Karate instructors, parachutists, and fly fisherman.

For everyone else the 6s is the sane choice. The battery life increase is marginal and so is the image quality increase, OIS is essentially irrelevant if you have steady hands. The large size is useless to anybody with an ipad.

Reactions: mrklaw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.