Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrblock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
la jolla, ca
Hi, I am upgrading monitors and was considering using 1 Pro Display XDR in the middle, and 2 LG Ultrafine 5ks vertically on the side. Over time I might upgrade the LGs to Studio Displays. If upgrading them now would make the setup work better, I'd consider it.

I know all of this would work a lot better with a Mac Studio, but I currently have:
  • 14" m1 max mbp (personal use)
  • 16" m1 pro mbp (work)

So even if I replaced my personal mbp with a studio, I'd like this to work with my work laptop too.

I plan to keep the laptops in closed-display mode on the desk.

First question - will the m1 pro drive 2 5k displays and 1 6k?

Next Question - Will any of the docks work such that I can only plug one cord into the laptop to charge it and drive the displays?

If not, what are my best options?

Super curious if anyone has a setup like this and what your desk looks like!

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
M1 Pro is limited to two external monitors regardless of resolution. I don't think there's any 5K compatible DisplayLink with TB3 to work around that either. I don't think TB4 has enough bandwidth to handle 6K + 2 5K monitors over one cable either.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
A Thunderbolt port can handle 1 UltraFine 5K display or 2 of most any other display (4K, 5K Studio Display, 6K XDR).

The only 5K that will work with DisplayLink is something like the Dell UP2515K which takes two separate DisplayPort connections - one for each half of the display.

The LG UltraFine 5K can accept 5K39. I'm not sure the limit of Apple Studio Display for a non-DSC signal. It could be 5K47. In either case, I don't think DisplayLink supports more than 3840x2400 for a single cable display?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
First question - will the m1 pro drive 2 5k displays and 1 6k?

Next Question - Will any of the docks work such that I can only plug one cord into the laptop to charge it and drive the displays?
The MBP with M1 Pro will handle only two external displays.
As for docks, the Caldigit TS4 and OWC TB4 dock will support two Apple Studio Displays simultaneously, as they support display compression, but not two LG Ultrafine 5K displays, as those do not support display compression. I use a TS4 and it handles my two ASDs just fine.
Thunderbolt 4, however, does not have the bandwidth to handle two ASDs and a XDR 6K display simultaneously over one port. You'd need to have the XDR plugged in on its own TB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.