Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GT107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
Does anybody know how to install tiger on an iMac G3 450Mhz DV with 512MB Ram. The ROM firmware has been updated to
4.1.9f. I am new to this but i either get a message about the Darwin Kernel version 8.4.1 powerMac 2.2 text on screen etc, etc. I have tried installing tiger the various methods commonly used, for example holding the C key down whilst booting up, and double clicking installer icon. When I do this the window that tells you to press the Restart buttton on it to install Mac Tiger OS 10.4.5 comes up as it should. Then when I press the blue restart button the computer reboots but with the current operating system OS 10.1.4. The iMac has a DVD-ROM slot load. Does anyone know what i may be doing wrong or need to change. Also done a Disk Utility verification and everything is fine.
:confused:

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
The old slot-loading iMacs will run Panther just fine - XPostFacto is not required for them. Slot-loading iMacs with DVD drives (or even not, as long as they have built-in firewire, will also install and run Tiger fine - no XPostFacto needed). XPostFacto is only required for iMac systems with tray-loading drives.

You could be running in to a few issues: hard drive space, bad media (are you installing from an original Tiger DVD or a copy?), or heck, maybe even 10.1 is messing with the installation in some way - you might have to re-partition your HDD if this is the case. You are also installing from a retail full installation DVD, not an upgrade DVD I would assume? The upgrade DVD will only work if the system is already running Panther or Tiger.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...try this...

Firmware upgraded?

10.1 updated to the latest version?

Using a retail copy of Tiger?

I had no problems installing Tiger on a slot loading, iMac DV (400mhz), but I did upgrade to Jaguar and Panther before Tiger, with clean installs each time.

GT107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
At This Stage The iMac G3 has ...

The iMac G3 450Mhz 512 MB Ram, has firewire ports, Running OS 10.1.4, firmware updated to 4.1.9f, trying to install fron an Original Tiger 10.4.5 DVD that came with the new iMac Core Duo.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any more would be helpful.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Ummm...

GT107 said:
The iMac G3 450Mhz 512 MB Ram, has firewire ports, Running OS 10.1.4, firmware updated to 4.1.9f, trying to install fron an Original Tiger 10.4.5 DVD that came with the new iMac Core Duo.

Thanks for the responses so far. Any more would be helpful.

First of all, that's illegal.

Second of all, you're trying to install the Intel build of Tiger on a PPC iMac.

You're out of luck.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
appleretailguy said:
First of all, that's illegal.

Second of all, you're trying to install the Intel build of Tiger on a PPC iMac.

You're out of luck.
Eh, the install DVD's that came with the Intel Mac's are actually Universal, but they are of course limited to one system type, which is the one it came with.

You can see on my Intel Mini:
deathchills-computer:/ deathchill$ file mach_kernel
mach_kernel: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
mach_kernel (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc
mach_kernel (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
DeathChill said:
Eh, the install DVD's that came with the Intel Mac's are actually Universal, but they are of course limited to one system type, which is the one it came with.

Yeah, I feel stupid. It's just the updates that seem to be coming in PPC and Intel varieties.

Either way this guy needs to buy a retail copy.

GT107

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
So, recommend that i purchase a retail version of Tiger, cool? Currently borrowed a 20 GB Western Digital Hard Drive, th e original 20GB seagate died and also need a new Hard Drive, How big a hard drive should I install and which brand do you recommend? Also do I need more than 512MB ram?

Thank for any advice?

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I have a 400MHz iMacDV with 512MB ram running tiger. It's not the fastest, but for web browsing and the like, it is tolerable.

More ram is better if you have access to some or can afford it. I get the spinning beach ball quite often on my machine.

As for hard drives, you can't beat Seagate's 5 year warranty.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
you really aught to backup your important documents, and format your hard drive to 100% avoid any conflicts with previous OS installs....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.