Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I can't seem to get Folding to run on my new G5. I keep getting an instability message which in turn aborts the current work unit and loads another. I tried Singe Processor mode and Dual. Both had the same problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
probably the case that either it or some of the libraries f@h is using needs to be recompiled.

have you contacted anyone at stanford to inquire?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The problem has already been reported at Stanford and here. It only concerns Gromacs work units.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That, or don't use it for folding.

They are only aware of the problem. They may have looked into it by now but I have not seen anything to confirm that.

It should scream on Tinker work units, for certain. If it will handle the problem Gromacs work units automatically, I'd probably just let it go and see what happens. If it requires work, I wouldn't bother until you see something posted here that it's working.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
if you used mc68k's scriptm reinstall it without choosing to use the -advmethods flag (I think that is it...)-- that way it will get more tinkers.

I'm not sure if there is a way to choose not to get gromacs for good or not... that would be nice though :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by bertinman
if you used mc68k's scriptm reinstall it without choosing to use the -advmethods flag (I think that is it...)-- that way it will get more tinkers.

I'm not sure if there is a way to choose not to get gromacs for good or not... that would be nice though :)

The -advmethods flag is mostly to advertise your williness to beta test new cores.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by bousozoku
The -advmethods flag is mostly to advertise your williness to beta test new cores.

oop, is it the force asm flag the one I'm thinking of? I didn't think that even was on the mac...suffering from too many windows machines. Anyway, I did notice a dramatic decrease in gromacs units when I took that flag off on my G3--this must have been coincidence.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by bertinman
oop, is it the force asm flag the one I'm thinking of? I didn't think that even was on the mac...suffering from too many windows machines. Anyway, I did notice a dramatic decrease in gromacs units when I took that flag off on my G3--this must have been coincidence.

I'm sure it was coincidence.

The -forceasm flag should really be -ignoreerrors flag as it makes certain that Gromacs proceeds to use SSE/AltiVec even if there was a crash or other abnormal termination.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by bousozoku
I'm sure it was coincidence.

The -forceasm flag should really be -ignoreerrors flag as it makes certain that Gromacs proceeds to use SSE/AltiVec even if there was a crash or other abnormal termination.

ok ok, I give up. I didn't do anything to MAKE my g3 not download as many gromacs units... leave me alone :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.