Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Ive tried multiple times now to create a working installer using Diskmaker X of a fresh download of the Yosemite installer from the app store today.

The installer is created but when i go to boot a machine from it shows the apple logo then the machine shuts down, just powers off. Multiple computers, same result.

Is this just a Diskmaker X incompatibility with 10.10.4 or am i doing something wrong?

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
So f__k me. Just checked the Diskmaker X website again tonight after spending a day trying to get it to work and the beta 6 that i had been using that i downloaded yesterday has been pulled from the site as it is broken and you are directed to download beta 4.

Doh.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
Thanks for the heads up. I just used beta 6 to make a 10.10.4 installer yesterday, but I haven't tried booting from it yet... Back to Beta 4 if it doesn't work I guess.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Ive tried multiple times now to create a working installer using Diskmaker X of a fresh download of the Yosemite installer from the app store today.

The installer is created but when i go to boot a machine from it shows the apple logo then the machine shuts down, just powers off. Multiple computers, same result.

Is this just a Diskmaker X incompatibility with 10.10.4 or am i doing something wrong?

Try this method to make a Yosemite installer. I successfully used this last weekend.

Make a Yosemite Install USB Drive

1. Grab a USB flash drive that's at least 8GB.

2. Download Yosemite from the app store (should download to your applications folder (named Install OS X Yosemite app).

3. Open disk utility and do the following:
-highlight the USB drive in the left column
-click on the partition tab
-select "1 partition"
-click "options" and select GUID Partition Table
-under name just type: USB (it will be renamed later)
-under format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
-click "apply" and "partition"

4. Now open terminal (found under utilities) and paste the following into it:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

-just paste that into terminal and hit enter, it should ask for your password and then the OS will create factory restore media from the USB stick and the Yosemite installer you downloaded from the app store (Note: can take 30-45min depending on speed of flash drive so don't remove the USB drive or exit terminal until it says it's finished)

5. To boot into the installer, just restart the computer and then hold down the "option" key during boot to bring up the boot menu.

Reactions: dmrowley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.