Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Hi There,

I have a 160 GB iPod classic, purchased back in 2007. Every time I sync, it starts syncing fine, but whenever it syncs somewhere past 33.5 GB iTunes gives me an error "attempting to copy to the Disk "IPOD"failed. An unknown error occurred (-69) and Windows prompts "Please insert a disk into IPOD (F:)" After a week of troubleshooting, I know it is not my library or songs on it (tried syncing with different computers and diferrent songs, plus my iPhone 4 syncs fine), not USB cable, not the computer. Has the iPod's time finally come? I made a playlist under 33 GB and can use it fine this way, however, that's like 20% of its capacity, which I used to have almost full, any ideas? Is the HDD finally dead? Probably bad controller on the iPod or something? Any way to fix it?

Only way to bring the iPod back after this is to restore it, but everytime it gets to the same mark it happens again.

Many thanks for your help!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I'm pretty certain that would be the hard drive. You should be able to replace it with any 5mm 1.8" ZIF drive with an ATA interface.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Damn I was hoping it was a formatting mistake or something like that, altough I knew hard drive damage would be more likely. Since my iPod classic is the thicker version, are there any larger capacity hard drives that might fit? Probably 240 or 320 GB?

DJHonda84

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Damn I was hoping it was a formatting mistake or something like that, altough I knew hard drive damage would be more likely. Since my iPod classic is the thicker version, are there any larger capacity hard drives that might fit? Probably 240 or 320 GB?

I know first-hand that the 5th gen iPod two-platter (60GB and 80GB) models can accept a 240GB hard drive upgrade.

I don't know first-hand, but have read somewhere that the 2007 160GB iPod classic, although a two-platter formfactor, cannot receive upgraded hard drives. Something about the firmware.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I know first-hand that the 5th gen iPod two-platter (60GB and 80GB) models can accept a 240GB hard drive upgrade.

I don't know first-hand, but have read somewhere that the 2007 160GB iPod classic, although a two-platter formfactor, cannot receive upgraded hard drives. Something about the firmware.

Yeah I've heard that too. Sucks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.