Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Since I don't have an iPad mini, I was thinking of turning my iPod touch into one... (Idont mean with 3G access or the same firmware) but how do you think I should balance the apps on both my iphone (4S) and my iPod touch (fifth)

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Don't think my parents will let me so I guess I'll have to do with what I have at the moment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What apps do you have to begin with?

I currently keep my camera, weather, alarm, pedometer, maps, RSS reader, radio apps, music, and very few games on my iPhone.

On my iPod, I keep my calculators, to-dos, writing, audiobooks, movies/tv shows, drawing, finance, music creation, podcasts, reading apps, and all my games.

Basically, whatever needs the internet and special chips (except the alarm/music :p) goes on my iPhone. Whatever doesn't, goes on my iPod.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Oh that's cool. Maybe this could be an inspiration for people who don't know what to do with their old iPods!

AppleUSA

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
Texas
What apps do you have to begin with?

I currently keep my camera, weather, alarm, pedometer, maps, RSS reader, radio apps, music, and very few games on my iPhone.

On my iPod, I keep my calculators, to-dos, writing, audiobooks, movies/tv shows, drawing, finance, music creation, podcasts, reading apps, and all my games.

Basically, whatever needs the internet and special chips (except the alarm/music :p) goes on my iPhone. Whatever doesn't, goes on my iPod.

Interesting Jessica!

Please explain how you benefit from having 2 closely related devices instead of just using a single unit.

Thanks!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Interesting Jessica!

Please explain how you benefit from having 2 closely related devices instead of just using a single unit.

Thanks!

Well... Not so much a benefit, other than I get to use both devices and all my content gets to live in them without issue. I don't worry about importing a few videos into iMovie, and then getting a message about low storage space because it just copies those 2GB files into it, and then having to delete stuff and lose progress in games or my data (which was an issue for me in iOS 4).

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Your iPod touch is more like an iPhone than an iPad. Why not sell the iPod and buy a used Mini?

I always saw the iPod touch as a smaller iPad (or the iPad a bigger iPod touch) as the iPod has more in common with the iPad then the iPhone (cellular antennas and all).

OP, I'd use the iPod as an MP3, to hold music, movies, TV shows, etc. If you have a 4s and 5th Gen touch, the touch has a 16:9 screen, better for movies and its an MP3 player. This way, it frees up your iPhone (which you probably carry more then the touch) with all your apps.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I normally use the iPod touch at night while my phones charging, as most of my texts are sent via Facebook. When it's not being used, it's on my dock as a clock, as I don't have one in my room. That's about it, but I would like to get more use out of it for now

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Since I don't have an iPad mini, I was thinking of turning my iPod touch into one... (Idont mean with 3G access or the same firmware) but how do you think I should balance the apps on both my iphone (4S) and my iPod touch (fifth)

First of : I recommend to sell your iPod and get some money ! ,, because you have an iPhone
Any way ,,
This is how I am using my iPod touch 5 storage {32GB}
2.5 GB ~ iOS :(
1.1 GB ~ jailbreak stuff
4 GB ~ Photoes
1 GB ~ Music
13 GB ! ~ GAMES AND APPS :D

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Honestly, if you can, sell it. iOS 8 will either A. not support it or B. the last update for it. Plus once the new one comes out in October, the value will tank compared to what it is now.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Honestly, if you can, sell it. iOS 8 will either A. not support it or B. the last update for it. Plus once the new one comes out in October, the value will tank compared to what it is now.

I think it is more than likely that the A5 based devices will recieve iOS 8.

AppleUSA

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
Texas
Well... Not so much a benefit, other than I get to use both devices and all my content gets to live in them without issue. I don't worry about importing a few videos into iMovie, and then getting a message about low storage space because it just copies those 2GB files into it, and then having to delete stuff and lose progress in games or my data (which was an issue for me in iOS 4).

Interesting! Good way to look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.