Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Hello everybody!

Yesterday my Apple TV 4 updated to tvOS 11.2.1m and two weird things happened:
1) Every time I put to sleep the Apple TV, the resolution switches back to 720p 50Hz, whereas the TV always managed 1080p 60Hz;
2) The Siri Remote doesn't turn on the TV anymore, and if I try to switch it on in the settings it displays "You can't use System Control with this configuration".

I have used te ATV with the same Samsung TV since I bought it two years ago without any issues, does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
sounds like an HDMI Handshake issue
try unplugging and re-seating both ends of the HDMI cable, or a spare cable if you have one

and maybe rebooting the aTV if you haven't already

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
I used two different cables, rebooted the ATV, unplugged the ATV for more than one minute and even reset the Samsung TV to factory settings. None of these worked. I have to try a third cable, that I used for months before changing the position of the TV, but that I can't find right now, and if it doesn't work I'll initialize the ATV, loosing all app data

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV?

it sounds like you've tried everything i would have

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Yeah, I tried both ports with the same results. I'm starting to think that it's a software problem

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
i had to change my 4k atv wi fi to 5ghz as the 2.4 wasn't connecting

weird as i never had this problem before

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
So this is a quite buggy release. I'll wait for the next update before initializing the tv!

Reactions: George Dawes

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
I have the exact same issue:

1) Every time I put to sleep the Apple TV, the resolution switches back to 720p 50Hz, whereas the TV always managed 1080p 60Hz;

I noticed it has to do with how the devices turn on. If I turn my receiver and tv on first then it will figure out the correct setting and select 1080p and surround sound(mine also defaults to 2.0 stereo). I have to manually go into the settings and select 1080p and switch audio from best available to 5.1 then back. Everything works until I sleep and wake with the apple tv again.

I submitted a bug to apple about this issue. Not running the beta so not sure if the issue has been resolved yet. I'm assuming they rewrote the handshake at startup due to the new auto resolution/rate and sdr/hdr introduced in 11.2.

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
I made another test today: I connected the ATV to another (more recent) Samsung TV. The ATV immediately recognized the right resolution and I just had to change from 50 to 60Hz. The ATV also remembered the new setting after going to sleep and waking up again.

Moreover, the ATV was able without setting to turn on and off the TV, but I think it has to do with the fact that it's a more recent TV set and didn't use the Siri Remote IR, while with the old TV I had to point the Siri Remote to the TV in order for it to turn it off. I'll just have to wait for another update I think.

Axe991

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Fantastic, I tried to install the 11.2.5 beta and nothing changed. Afterwards I tried to initialize the ATV and the Siri Remote can't even change the TV volume anymore :(

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
The 11.2.5 update has killed auto-detect of Dolby Vision content on my LG B6. Both iTunes and Netflix display HDR instead.

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Submitted a bug report with apple and they requested a system diagnostics report. So they appear to be looking at these issues.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
My issue went away when I turned back on frame-rate auto-detect. It seems I need both Range and Frame-rate turned on for Dolby Vision to auto-detect, for whatever reason. Either way, it's working fine again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.