Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I've got a BookArc for my MacBook Pro. Probably the best desk accessory purchase ever. TwelveSouth makes really good stuff, great folks there. My BookArc for iPad comes today, can't wait!

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Love the Twelve South folks. Awesome, as expected. Go buy now.

(Also includes second insert to support thin cases!)

dbg9E6

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Twelve South rocks. Very personal service and I got the email update as soon as they had them ready. I even got a personal response when I emailed them a few weeks ago asking for an eta. If I hadnt just ordered my MBP I would be ordering one right now. Gonna have to wait a bit but It is going to look sweet next to my Bookarc for Macbook and my 24" ACD.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Just got mine. I love it. My iPad feels more secure in the BookArc than in Apple's Dock, so I don't feel the need to be as careful when I'm pressing on the screen. It matches the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard nicely too.

Also, it came in the nicest packaging I've ever seen. The "thank you" card that peeks through the slot in the BookArc was a nice touch.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I agree-- packaging nicely done and like most Apple boxes can be used for something else. I also like the thank you --adds a personal touch. This works really well with the BT keyboard and complements it beautifully.

Guys that have purchased this. I would love to know how it works with the Belkin Grip Vue.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have both the Belkin Grip Vue and the Apple iPad case, but haven't tried out either one yet with the Arc. The box includes a separate silicon insert for use when choosing to have something on one's iPad, and there are instructions for popping one insert out and putting the other in.....

ETA: Yep, works fine with the Apple iPad case! I swapped out the inserts easily and then inserted the iPad in the Apple case. Voila!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
OK, go buy a $40 piece of plastic. LOL.

The picture holder does a great job and can't tip over.

Stop trollin, it's solid Aluminum and you can have 4 positions. Looks the part too. Got money?

If the case you have on doesn't fit with the second insert then you can take it off and use it without, should fit np..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think I caught the response. Does it sit at an angle at all? What is this 4 positions you speak of TwelveSouth rep?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
To answer the questions:

Storage mode: iPad sits straight upright in either Portrait or landscape mode, when positioned facing the Twelve South logo.

Work mode: iPad sits at a (slight) angle in either Portrait or landscape mode when positioned facing the home button opening (cutout area). I fiddled with it a bit both ways to see which was more satisfactory while in each insert and it took some experimentation to get an angle with which I am happy, but it's definitely doable!

Because I'm lazy I'll probably just leave the 2P insert in all the time so that way I can easily stick my iPad in here whether or not she's in the iPad case, Belkin case or naked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
But nothing that allows you to angle it slightly to type on with both hands right?

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Does it sit at an angle at all?

Yes.

What is this 4 positions you speak of TwelveSouth rep?

From the manual:
Storage mode = iPad facing Twelve South logo
1. Portrait view (iPad sits upright)
2. Landscape view (iPad sits upright)

Work mode = iPad facing home button opening
3. Portrait view (iPad sits at an angle)
4. Landscape view (iPad sits at an angle)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Right now I've got the BT keyboard out and am using it but my first post with the iPad in the Arc was typed (rather awkwardly) on the iPad's keyboard. I think the people designed this had the idea that purchasers would primarily be using the BT or other external keyboard. It IS possible to use the iPad keyboard with this thing, though. One thing which could be done would be to take the iPad out of the Arc stand and prop it at an angle against the stand.....when the iPad were in the Belkin or Apple case, though, so as not to scratch the back. I've done that before with other stands.....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have to say I really like that Apple iPad case and have no problem popping my iPad in-and-out of it as needed.....while I like playing with my naked iPad, too, I feel that she is a little safer when in something that is grippier. I also do like the angle at which one can type on the iPad when in that case.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
emailed them about the possibility of an iPad insert for those with the original bookarc....

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:24 AM,:

Hey, just firing you guys a quick question.
what are the chances of you offering an iPad insert for your loyal customers ;) that already have the macbook stye bookarc?
I sold my macbook a while ago but kept the bookarc because it's nice n stylish, I currently have my ipad in it, it looks great but could use some stability
cheers
Rick

-----------------------

Hi Rick,

There aren't any specific plans to make an insert for the BookArc for MacBook so the iPad will fit. The utility is just too different. The iPad needs to be held securely in both the portrait and landscape positions and be able to tilt and sit completely vertically in both positions in order to be optimally used. The center of gravity needs to be well balanced, especially when people are tapping and sliding their fingers across the screen while the iPad is in use. The button at the bottom center and all ports need to be accessible.

I don't know if a silicone iPad case might add stability or not. I'd hate to buoy your hopes too much because I just don't know.

And by the way, we appreciate our 'loyal customers' more than you know. Thanks for the question...its a good one and one we considered before designing the BookArc for iPad.

Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Regards,
Twelve South Support

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.