Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Question guys,

I purchase the HiRise by Twelve South a while back but have never used in fear that I realized it has magnets on the front end of it to hold the tray front on without screws. Is this not harmful to the Thunderbolt? Or my Macbook Pro which would be on desk nearby? I've always read horror stories of magnets "Scrambling" computers HD's etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I haven't worried about magnets since back in the floppy disk days!

You will be fine ... magnets don't affect Thunderbolt and your Macbook Pro is far away and adequately shielded to avoid any issues with the tiny magnets holding the panel on your HiRise.

Did you realize that until recently, the iMac front glass was held on by powerful tiny magnets around the perimeter of the computer screen? No visible screws, and you used a suction cup or two to remove the front panel.

Reactions: Sam5281

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
I haven't worried about magnets since back in the floppy disk days!

You will be fine ... magnets don't affect Thunderbolt and your Macbook Pro is far away and adequately shielded to avoid any issues with the tiny magnets holding the panel on your HiRise.

Did you realize that until recently, the iMac front glass was held on by powerful tiny magnets around the perimeter of the computer screen? No visible screws, and you used a suction cup or two to remove the front panel.

Sorry. Guess I am just a bit over-protective with my investment. (I don't even like to travel with my laptop if I don't have to as I don't want it banged up etc-OCD I KNOW :D)

I did not realize that about the iMac. Interesting!

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Ha awesome thanks guys! Appreciate the great fast knowledge that is here.

Have the hi-rise up and is working great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.