Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitterlogo.jpg
Twitter has plans to stop counting photos and links within the 140-character limit allowed for each tweet, reports Bloomberg. Removing photos and links from tweets will allow tweets with media to contain more text.

At the current time, photos take up 24 characters and links take up 23 characters, eliminating 47 available characters when both are included in a tweet. Twitter is reportedly introducing the change to give Twitter users "more flexibility" after exploring methods that would allow users to include more text in tweets.

Twitter has made efforts to give users additional characters to work with in the past, implementing tweet quoting features, using link shorteners, and removing character limits from Direct Messages.

Twitter has included a 140-character restriction since it launched in 2006, put in place to stay within the limits of the standard 160-character length of SMS messages with 20 characters left as space for a username. Reports in January suggested Twitter was considering eliminating the 140-character limit and allowing tweets to contain up to 10,000 characters as part of a project it called "Beyond 140," but Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey later said the character limit would not be changed.

Twitter is expected to implement the change in the next two weeks.

Article Link: Twitter Plans to Stop Counting Links and Photos in 140-Character Limit

Reactions: Jess13

acegreen

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2015
Twitter has included a 140-character limit since it launched in 2006, put in place to mirror limits on SMS messages.

As far as I know Twitter started out as an SMS group messaging idea so it wasn't to mirror the limitation but rather an actual limitation.

Reactions: rbrian

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I hope they limit the number of links allowed too. Otherwise the service will be spammed with 1000s of lines of links in a single tweet.

Not sure if Twitter has noticed, but the cellular industry and mobile phone manufacturers have figured out how to group texts into conversations even if the text was sent in 3 different 140-count messages.

I prefer the short format of Twitter for quick readings and such. So I don't want to see long-form blog-like posts. But maybe extending to 240 characters would be nice. It's long enough to use proper English without really changing the basic concept of short messages.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I always find myself needing just a few more characters. Changing the limit to text-only makes so much sense! This is a great change, and will be especially useful when I cross post from Instagram and end up with cut off descriptions.

I can only see this making Twitter better while increasing the sharing of links and media. It's rare that a social media site makes a positive change with no downside (IMO). I mostly follow people and websites for the links they post, not for status updates about their life. I use Twitter as a tool to learn new things and expand my perspective of the world. It's incredibly valuable and quick for me to use.

As for those who want massively increased Tweet lengths, that's not what Twitter is for. I like the approach that Tweetbot took in a recent update to sort of chain related Tweets together, for when that is needed (such as following an emerging news topic or for live tweeting a special event). But by keeping such a short length, it brings much needed brevity to social media. I wouldn't mind if they increased it slightly, say 160 or 180, but anything more just becomes too much noise.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What took them so long? Twitter is worse than SMS because I can send group text without all of the participants eating up my text spaces.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If there's no other limit, they should probably count at least 1 character per link. Are 140 links in a tweet not enough?

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I'd actually much rather have this then raising the limit. It does however make me wonder if they'll make a limit on how many links/photos that you can post.

imbriumapps

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2016
USA
Oh, thank goodness! I'm always running out of characters in my tweets because I post a lot of links and it's really cumbersome to trim words because of the limit. You can't just post a link either because people have to know what they're going to click on. I'm really looking forward to this limit being lifted.

Reactions: autrefois

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Strongly disagree. The beauty of Twitter is that tweets are short and to the point. If you want to write dissertations use Tumblr or Facebook.
There's a big difference between a, say, 250 character post and a dissertation. While I like the fact that Tweets are short and to the point, there's a reason that you get 'words' like "g8" or "idk" and many tweets being continued. 140 characters often isn't enough space to write even a complete thought. That's all I want.

Reactions: smirking

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
Yea man. I want to write my 280 character dissertation.

But seriously this change helps a lot. Glad to see this finally coming.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Strongly disagree. The beauty of Twitter is that tweets are short and to the point. If you want to write dissertations use Tumblr or Facebook.
While you are not wrong, many people post these 5-parter "1/5", "2/5"... tweets or worse, a screenshot of Notes app. Twitter clients can easily show only the first 100 characters or so with "..." that expands the rest.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
Twitter has included a 140-character limit since it launched in 2006, put in place to mirror limits on SMS messages.

Is this really correct, MacRumors?

As I remember it, Twitter started out as and SMS based service and where forced to work within the 160-character limit that SMS uses. But Twitter needed 20 characters for metadata, thus 140 characters was left for the text message.

(Sidenote: I for one allways wished that Twitter would expand the limit to the same 160-character limit that SMS uses. That was a carefully picked limit, for good reasons. The extra 20 characters would make a huge difference in practice of what could be said in a tweet while still keeping Twitter close to it's main purpose – short text message).)

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
This has always been the best social media tool to me, the rest I leave alone this is a good move but would not mind a 160 character limit

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is a change I can get behind. The 140 is fantastic. Brevity is critical to Twitter but the link and photo URL's are a relic of its SMS founding background that offers no benefits in a post SMS era.

I'd add that @ mentions should also be excluded from the 140 character count as well or at least be worth the same regardless of the legnth of the username.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.