Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggabriel

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
I've got two MBPs and a ACD under the normal AppleCare and a Mac Mini and Mac Pro under the UK HE warranty. Both of the latter products were purchased with the additional AppleCare warranty.

Both HE warranty products have about 24 month of coverage left (one more and one less, but that shouldn't matter).

I just tried to set up a repair in the USA for my Mac Pro, strangely enough, the website says that all services are available for this Mac, which includes phone support, visiting a local AASP and visiting a retail store.
What makes me wonder is, that the AppleCare leaflet that comes with the computer explicitly states that the coverage for this computer is only valid in Western Europe (it lists the countries).

I don't get it, either they changed their warranty conditions for desktop computers or the website is simply wrong.
The notebooks are also entitled for a service in the US, which makes total sense as it conforms to the conditions printed in the AppleCare leaflet.

Unfortunately I haven't bought a notebook with the UK HE warranty, so I can't tell you what's printed in the AppleCare leaflet for them, but both the leaflet I got with the Mini and the one they send me with the Pro say that service is only available in Western Europe.
As I said, the notebooks are under the normal AppleCare, so they are definitely entitled for a worldwide repair.

Thanks for your feedback. It would seem that as long as you have the student warranty it shows that you can get service. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that it says the same thing for my mac mini (2 years out of warranty), as all of the outlets will still fix it for you but it will just cost money. I've heard from someone who was told by an apple rep that the student warranty only covers you globally for the first year.

this whole student warranty thing is very ambiguous, and even apple's 'expert' reps have problems getting their head round it. for the sake of 47 quid i'd rather have total peace of mind that i'm fully covered around the world for three years, especially as i'm spending so long abroad!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
The scheme is under the Universities' Apple Computer Group. The current agreement expires September 2011, although the previous agreements have all been extended. See appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk

90 days after you buy your Mac you will get an email saying it is covered for 3 years.

There are some things to note-

• Only in the UK!
  • This does not apply in store. If you buy in the Apple store you must buy Applecare (and you are frequently offered a much lower discount) to get 3 years.
  • Unlike Applecare the student warranty is not worldwide and is not transferrable (so may effect resale value).
  • You only get one year phone support not three.
  • You only get the low price when you order the Mac, if you want it later you will pay full price.

So many people I know bought Applecare as a student and only found out too late they had three years warranty anyway.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Could anyone tell me the discounts on a MBP for a 6th form student? Because I cant get on the college/ further education store right now.
Thanks

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Could anyone tell me the discounts on a MBP for a 6th form student? Because I cant get on the college/ further education store right now.
Thanks

I think the online further education store is only for UK schools that have a special agreement with Apple, and that is only a very small proportion.

I think you can get around 6% off by buying in store, but you do not get three years warranty as standard.

If you are in year 13 and applying for uni note that you can usually get a bigger discount once you have an offer from a UK university (although again you don't necessarily get the 3 year warranty as standard unless you are at uni).

Your best bet right now would be to go to an Apple store and try and see what you can get, 6% should not be a problem but you could get more. Don't be afraid to go back another day and speak to someone else. I know people who have received discounted iWork etc just by asking very nicely!

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
[*]Unlike Applecare the student warranty is not worldwide and is not transferrable (so may effect resale value).

That bit isn't true, all Apple warranties are transferable as they are registered to the machine serial number not the owner. When you go instore with a problem its the serial number they check, and that will show up as having warranty.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I know you can get the HE discount in store, but has anyone confirmed that this doesn't get you the three year warranty cover? Sounds a bit odd, to say the least..

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I know you can get the HE discount in store, but has anyone confirmed that this doesn't get you the three year warranty cover? Sounds a bit odd, to say the least..
You've never been able to get the three-year warranty free via a bricks and mortar store.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
You've never been able to get the three-year warranty free via a bricks and mortar store.

It just seems so... random. The only option in store is to get the extended applecare at the same time, hopefully at a discount?

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
It just seems so... random. The only option in store is to get the extended applecare at the same time, hopefully at a discount?
I wouldn't say it's random - the discounted price and extended warranty is available because of the UK Higher Education National Contract and under that agreement, people are meant to buy from the HE National Agreement Store (either online or by phone). So there's no obligation for bricks and mortar stores to match that price.

If you are buying in-store, you should have a good chance of getting discounted AppleCare at the smae time - these days, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

Nice summary.

You sure about the paying to send it back? My gf's MacBook battery suddenly went to 5% capacity (down from 89% in 2 days) and they picked it up and returned it by courier for free. Otherwise it could be quite expensive, so may be better to just rely on the Sale of Goods Act instead.

You commented on that site that you think it is worldwide- I don't know the answer to that. However, I do know that UK students get 3 years warranty by virtue of a special agreement with the UK Higher Education Sector. The particular UK warranty is strictly for UK students only, people should check whether such agreements operate within their own country first.

Finally, the current deal between UACG and Apple is due to expire September this year, after this the automatic 3 year warranty will end. However, I think the first agreement was in 2003(ish) and both Apple and UACG chose to renew it in 2007, so they may do again.

See- http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/

I've posted quite a few times on this issue, as I don't like the way Apple hide it and there is a great deal of confusion (even the MacRumours buyers guide still wrongly states that the 3 year warranty has been discontinued).

One of the simplest things to do is to make a copy of the terms and conditions below when you buy. These are the terms and conditions for UK HE students, they are what you agree to when you buy the MacBook

(http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk_inst/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html section 10.1.1)

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
You have to pay to return to Apple if theres nothing wrong with it, you can only return free of charge if there is a fault IIRC.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I really don't see why there is no 3 year warranty as standard in store.

The education discount is exactly the same in store and online except minus the extended warranty it seems.

I just bought an air in store and declined apple care on the basis that I had a 3 year warranty anyway. Now I don't know if I canto back and take out the discounted apple care or not. I assume that it really depends on the manager of the store being sympathetic to me or not.

At the same time it is good that you do get an extended warranty automatically with education discount online.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I really don't see why there is no 3 year warranty as standard in store.

The education discount is exactly the same in store and online except minus the extended warranty it seems.

I just bought an air in store and declined apple care on the basis that I had a 3 year warranty anyway. Now I don't know if I canto back and take out the discounted apple care or not. I assume that it really depends on the manager of the store being sympathetic to me or not.

At the same time it is good that you do get an extended warranty automatically with education discount online.

The real question is why do they offer 3 years online or over the phone? It is because they have to because of a contract they signed. Not because they want to! They don't have to offer it in store so they don't.

I made another topic on the subject which goes through discounts for all educational levels, not just student- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1103022/

It gives details why the warranty is online/phone only.

You may be able to get the lower price, just smile and get sympathy!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Can I confirm that the Mac Mini is included as being covered in this 3 year warranty extension?

All Macs on the Apple store. For some reason when you select the Mac
Mini the warranty info doesn't appear on the configuration screen since the update today. But yes it still gets the 3 year warranty.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
All Macs on the Apple store. For some reason when you select the Mac
Mini the warranty info doesn't appear on the configuration screen since the update today. But yes it still gets the 3 year warranty.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yeah - I noticed that it doesn't give you the warranty option whatsoever since the update!

Well my mind is at rest!

SanjeevKhumar

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I can't get on the higher education store for some reason though I am a uni student - please can you tell me what the cost of the 15" Macbook Pro is please with the full HE discount (and how much it costs to get AC if anything)?

Thanks.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I can't get on the higher education store for some reason though I am a uni student - please can you tell me what the cost of the 15" Macbook Pro is please with the full HE discount (and how much it costs to get AC if anything)?

Thanks.

Base 15" is £1332, higher end is £1572. Prices vary a little between unis, but only by a few pounds.

If you want to upgrade to AppleCare instead of the base 3 year warranty it is £60.

a9205

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
England

Thanks.

i normally work out MBA and MBP costs by taking 14% of so multiplying by 0.86

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
wait will the student discount expire after sep 30?

Apple has a contract with UACG which stipulates the discount it must offer and free warranties online/phone. That contract is due to expire 30th September. However, it has been renewed since it was first introduced (2003ish?), so it may well be continued again. If it is not it only means Apple are no longer obligated to offer a student discount/warranty, instead they can do so at their choice.

I don't think the OP is still active in this thread, but I'll try to update the thread in my sig at the time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.