Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Uh, oh. Better move this thread to the Politics forum quickly.

And that said, you all do realize that this is in the context of legal, court authorized wire tapping. You know, with warrants, and judges and due process and all that stuff. Like we've had since as long as there have been wires to tap?

That's what they'd like us to believe. Somehow I don't think they're all playing by the rules. Do you really really trust our government, after all they're just people like us right ? Difference is, they CAN come to your door with a gun and shoot you. Whether its a serious crime or tax evasion or something even simpler, just remember they're the ones carrying the guns, that BTW, they are now trying to take away from the rest of us.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
What are iMessages being encrypted at?

I think a lot of people put WAY too much into the governments ability to crack encryptions.

Look at it is way. If the government had the ability to crack whatever encryption it wanted they wouldn't waste their time changing laws to make companies put back doors into their software.

Just looking at brute force cracking, its nearly impossible.
128 bit AES has 3.4 x 10 to the 38th power worth of combinations
Faster supercomputer (As of 2011): 10.51 Pentaflops = 10.51 x 1015 Flops [Flops = Floating point operations per second]
No. of Flops required per combination check: 1000 (very optimistic but just assume for now)
No. of combination checks per second = (10.51 x 1015) / 1000 = 10.51 x 1012
No. of seconds in one Year = 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 = 31536000
No. of Years to crack AES with 128-bit Key = (3.4 x 1038) / [(10.51 x 1012) x 31536000]
= (0.323 x 1026)/31536000
= 1.02 x 1018
= 1 billion billion years

But the government HATES technology, it puts too much power into the hands of individuals, and theres too many ways to hide our business from them, and if theres anything the government hates it being able to keep them from spying on you.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
What are iMessages being encrypted at?

I think a lot of people put WAY too much into the governments ability to crack encryptions.

Look at it is way. If the government had the ability to crack whatever encryption it wanted they wouldn't waste their time changing laws to make companies put back doors into their software.

Just looking at brute force cracking, its nearly impossible.
128 bit AES has 3.4 x 10 to the 38th power worth of combinations
Faster supercomputer (As of 2011): 10.51 Pentaflops = 10.51 x 1015 Flops [Flops = Floating point operations per second]
No. of Flops required per combination check: 1000 (very optimistic but just assume for now)
No. of combination checks per second = (10.51 x 1015) / 1000 = 10.51 x 1012
No. of seconds in one Year = 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 = 31536000
No. of Years to crack AES with 128-bit Key = (3.4 x 1038) / [(10.51 x 1012) x 31536000]
= (0.323 x 1026)/31536000
= 1.02 x 1018
= 1 billion billion years

You don't get it do you? They don't need to crack the encryption when all they do is go to the mfg, "Give us the key please" (or else), and thats all she wrote. Better off using private encryption with your own personal key.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
You don't get it do you? They don't need to crack the encryption when all they do is go to the mfg, "Give us the key please" (or else), and thats all she wrote. Better off using private encryption with your own personal key.

I DO get it. Thats why i said, why would they bother changing laws to simply get back doors from companies. There however seems to be a ton of people who think that the government can simply break encryption and have these super sweet super computers.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I DO get it. Thats why i said, why would they bother changing laws to simply get back doors from companies. There however seems to be a ton of people who think that the government can simply break encryption and have these super sweet super computers.

I see what you're saying. However the gov uses the easiest encryption cracking method in the cracking business, question the perp, and formulate a pw from data obtained from the investigation. They only try the brute force (and they do), when there's no other option.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
I see what you're saying. However the gov uses the easiest encryption cracking method in the cracking business, question the perp, and formulate a pw from data obtained from the investigation. They only try the brute force (and they do), when there's no other option.

Yeah, its generally the suspect that will screw himself over. There was a case a while back where the courts were dealing with a woman who had a laptop with a encrypted hard drive and wanted her to give them the key which she wouldn't do by pleading the 5th.

Apparently thats being contested.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Criminal governance department

;) Good.

First of all, there shouldn't be a DEA. And while some may wish to debate that, it is clear that many in the United States government, with their NSA, NDAA and so forth, have no respect for the concept of rightful privacy or the 4th Amendment of our Constitution. While there are other bad actors in the world, we need first to be protected from the malfeasant in our own government.

Allowing them any sort of backdoor is akin to handing the keys to one's house over to a thief, or just leaving the door permanently open to all. Rather as they would have it—and should not.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
With probable cause and a warrant, the government can invade your privacy. This has been uncontroversial for practically forever.

You can complain when they have only one or none of the two.

Actually, if you read the article the memo says even WITH a warrent they can't wire tap because its device to device encryption. I don't think even Apple has access to the messages.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think we can all rest assured that this is total BS.

It's never "impossible" to tap a phone, be it for voice, sms, or anything else. And if it were, the freaking government wouldn't advertise it, there is absolutely no reason to let the public know that your ability to surveil is crippled in any way.

I don't get anything about this announcement.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
I think we can all rest assured that this is total BS.

It's never "impossible" to tap a phone, be it for voice, sms, or anything else. And if it were, the freaking government wouldn't advertise it, there is absolutely no reason to let the public know that your ability to surveil is crippled in any way.

I don't get anything about this announcement.

Voice and SMS are one thing, but when there is end to end encryption is something completely different.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Actually, if you read the article the memo says even WITH a warrent they can't wire tap because its device to device encryption. I don't think even Apple has access to the messages.

They can't warrant tap because of technical realities, not because they are legally enjoined from doing so.

They have plenty of other methods at their disposal when their marks are using encryption. They just aren't as convenient and require old fashioned police work.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1

If Apple can access the encryption keys (which I presume are made by Apple in the first place), then they can access the messages.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Well, allegedly it wasn't a statement, it was "leaked". However, the conspiracy theorist in me has to wonder if "tapping" iMessage is actually quite easy for the Feds, so they "leak" this memo so that those conducting illicit business move to iMessages and can be easily tapped. Excuse me for a moment while I adjust my aluminium foil hat.

At last, some one who seems to know the deference between tin foil and aluminum foil.

----------

Invasion of privacy for one.

Which is why they have to get permission from a judge to do it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Wow, you mean the government can't subvert your Constitutional RIGHT to PRIVACY on iMessage? Imagine that! :eek:

Hey, I wonder if the founding fathers were concerned about their own right to privacy as they plotted against their own British government.... Hell, they were terrorists...(cough)...I mean freedom fighters after all and so today they would have been caught with their cell phones and put on trial before the British could try and tax their afternoon tea. :D

But thanks to Apple, this is no longer an issue. One if by land, two if by sea....

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
You have an amazingly naieve world view

Oh do I now? Please explain how I personally benefit by having a criminal locked up for a few months/years and released, hardened like never before. (And lifetime prison sentences I really can't understand. All you get is a convict with no reason to live, increasing the likelihood he'll be a violent inmate).

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Too bad too.

Our government should understand that we will be safe from their prying eyes and they will have limits on reaching into our lives. I can live with criminals having the ability to speak privately, or there being an option of anonymity.

What I don't want to live with is a far reaching government that meddles in my affairs. Keep out and find a different way to get at criminals. I don't care if some of them will get away with crime, or that they lack the tools to catch criminals when they talk. It's part of the price of being a free and un-meddled with citizenry. Law enforcement will be hard. It should be.

Do you really think the government is just sitting around in an office using 1000's of hours of man power to "meddle" in your affairs for no reason?? Wire taps are a major pain of the ass that require court orders and lots of man power and resources. I can assure you that the government has no desire to meddle in the average joes affairs so I think your texts are safe.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I am asking all of the service providers to not block my attempts to pass legislation requiring end-to-end encryption of all communications.

----------

The Wire would have been a boring show if Marlow used iMessages

Indeed. However, the dealers would have had more fun.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Based on this photo, I think they're still figuring out how to play Pong.

They WISH it was a Pong machine. It's actually a busted piano made to look like a control console for those fake..er...real weapons they keep threatening the world with.

-ITGuy

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Gotta love this. They are pissed because they cannot go through peoples personal stuff.

Cry me a river government. Stay outta our business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.