Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you had read the linked article before taking the time to write all of that, you would have seen that she clearly states that existing authorities should continue to set the rules, but that the rules need revisiting in light of the massive changes that our culture has gone through recently, and that if those processes proceed too slowly, she is prepared to use legislative power to speed things along. This is exactly what our government should be doing.

I read it but got a different message. I read it as a threat to strong arm the agency if they don't promulgate the rules that she thinks should be created.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
This is about turning it off during take-off and landing. Passing time during a flight, that's fine. But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

Why can't I read during that time? I should not have to put my book down just because you think it would be good for me to read the skymall catalog instead.

----------

There is a reason they don't want it on during takeoff and landing. Electronics on the plane can malfunction (very small chance but we're talking about the lives of everyone on the plane) due to interference from electronic devices. Once the plane achieve the right altitude, after takeoff, the have several miles of space between the plane and the ground to deal with possible malfunctions, so the risk is minimized. That's why they want electronics off during takeoffs and landings only. It's reasonable. Total time is less than 30 minutes.

Then we are doomed. If there is any chance of this happening then the entire commercial aviation fleet should be grounded. If it can happen on accident, it can happen on purpose.

----------

I'm usually vehemently against allowing my words to feed any trolls online but this one finally got me to take a moment to register this forum...posted this on my Facebook and thought I'd copy it in here too. For reference I work for a major airline.

Alright. Gotta give my opinion on something else. I keep reading about Senators "Promising Legislative Action Allowing In-Air Use of Electronic Devices if FAA Doesn't Act". I'm cool with people trying to make laws and rules to make things safe and stuff...but this is a pet peeve of mine. The reason you're supposed to put your electronic devices away during taxi/takeoff/landing is not because we're concerned about your game of Words-With-Friends...its because if there is an emergency you NEED TO PAY ATTENTION to the instructions being given to you in order TO SAVE YOUR ****ING LIFE. I realize this puts a bit of a downer on your plans to put your Bose noise canceling headsets on to listen to Jay-Z while you play Angry Birds but if there ever were a 6 minute timeframe where you should put your phone away and look up it would be barreling down a runway during takeoff. Dear Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO): You are an asshat. Maybe consider speaking to the professionals that do the job before blabing your loud mouth about **** you know nothing about.

So you are ok with banning books, newspapers, children, talking, etc. during this time?

----------

Zhenya - You're right that books, newspapers or magazines are distracting, I agree. One could argue that they are less distracting than electronics but for this instance lets assume they are equally distracting.

Scenario: Take off roll, captain elects to reject the takeoff because another plane pulls onto the runway. Slams on brakes and stops but now the brakes heat up enough to start a fire. Captain orders an evacuation. Guy with the iPad out fumbles with it to put it in his bag as not to damage it...he certainly doesn't want anyone to trample over it. Guy with the Wall Street Journal throws it down and get out of the airplane.

Electronics are different from reading paper.

We care more about ourselves and our stuff more than we do the guy next to us and his safety.

Your really reaching. You have no idea what someone is going to value. What about the guy who drops his antique pen when the pilot jams on the brakes?

kolizion

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Next... Your going to be pissed off that you can't use your device in a hospital.

You don't do it during takeoff, you don't do it during landing... These are not completely unreasonable requests you inpatient bastards. ;)

Your off your phone for a very, very short period of time in your life.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I am skeptical of electronic interference concerns with electronic devices, but I do agree that people should be giving their full undivided attention to special instructions made by the crew. If the Senator has not consider this, then maybe she isn't the right person pushing legislation for the entire country.

Not only has she considered it, it is addressed in this story....

leavinonajet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I just don't think it makes sense to make a law to prevent the possibility of something so remote. If saving lives was really a concern, we'd have far stricter tests for drivers licenses (as just one example that could save thousands of actual lives every year as opposed to 1 life maybe someday).

Its because aviation is so safe that people forget what risks are involved. Its because airlines train their crews for everything INCLUDING the possibility of things so remote. For years once a pilot graduated from smaller airplanes up to the major airlines they did not receive training regarding stalls and recovery in those bigger jets...its was assumed they knew what they were doing at that point. It took an Air France Airbus crashing, and another small commuter airplane crashing in the northeast to get the NTSB and FAA to mandate that the major airlines teach stall recovery techniques to their crews again. Remind them of the proper technique. The possibility that a pilot would box themselves so far into the flight envelope that the airplane stalls is extremely remote. But don't you feel better that your crew was trained for that possibility?

Also...what if that one, single life was your's these rules just saved. Pretty sweet deal then. But if its just some other guy, who cares?

I guess I'm puzzled by your argument: You're saying that we don't have strict laws that save lives in one segment of transportation so we might as well just go ahead and relax laws in another segment? Traffic deaths are a huge concern and should be dealt with! It's such a big and daunting problem but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tackle it. It seems like maybe 'ol Claire should take some of her spare time to fight that problem instead of worrying about why she can't read her ebook while her pilots navigate the extremely restricted airspace of DC.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Next... Your going to be pissed off that you can't use your device in a hospital.

You don't do it during takeoff, you don't do it during landing... These are not completely unreasonable requests you inpatient bastards. ;)

Your off your phone for a very, very short period of time in your life.

I just spent 48 hours sitting in a hospital. At no point was I asked to turn off my kindle or iPad. In fact, they have wifi everywhere. Hospitals have made there way into the 21st century.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Not only has she considered it, it is addressed in this story....

Yes, I read that but how serious can she be about such a major concern to continue to push for legislation? We all know that people are easily distracted by mobile devices. Why else would states pass laws prohibiting device use while driving a vehicle? Federal government is all about individual safety for air travel and something as simple as allowing electronic devices could have major impact to that safety. You can't force people to stop glaring at their devices, which in fact distracts a person from their surroundings.

kdarling

macrumors P6
As an electronics and pilot type myself, I always wonder why so many people think that rules should not apply to themselves. Especially when the topic is waaay outside their knowledge.

Not long ago, Boeing was doing testing on a WiFi installation. Turned out that on one of their airliner models, if enough passengers turned on WiFi, the pilot's LCD instrument panels would just go blank. Not enough shielding, because they were never designed for such a situation. Easily fixed, but it points out that each aircraft model needs individual (and rigorous) testing.

Want to get really worried? Read some of the anonymous NASA safety reports that pilots file on this topic. Here's a PDF of some.

Everything from Navigation radios screwing up, to autopilots kicking off or diving the plane at the last second, to radio interference - imagine the sound of dozens of GSM phone buzz. There also seem to be a lot of false TCAS collision alert messages, causing the pilots to take evasive action for no reason. I remember one report where that happened during the landing phase and almost caused a crash... all because some idiot passenger thought she could sneak in a phone call.

There's also so many reports of batteries and power outlets catching fire. (It's just a matter of time before someone's iPod stashed in the luggage compartment brings a plane down. Falling out of the sky on fire is one of the worst ways to die that I can think of. At that point, expect a much stronger ban to appear.)

At the least, interference can cause unnecessary distractions for the pilots. Only the most self-centered people think that's okay.

Folks, it's just not worth the risk yet. As more and more modern airliners come online, I think the chances of interference will lessen a bit.

Last edited:

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

Do you use a headset when communicating with ATC? Ever hear interference in the headset when your cell phone is blasting in your pocket on full power? While you may not need to always be in contact with ATC, there is a good chance you might benefit from un-interfered radio communication...DURING TAKEOFF AND LANDING.

B

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Its because aviation is so safe that people forget what risks are involved. Its because airlines train their crews for everything INCLUDING the possibility of things so remote. For years once a pilot graduated from smaller airplanes up to the major airlines they did not receive training regarding stalls and recovery in those bigger jets...its was assumed they knew what they were doing at that point. It took an Air France Airbus crashing, and another small commuter airplane crashing in the northeast to get the NTSB and FAA to mandate that the major airlines teach stall recovery techniques to their crews again. Remind them of the proper technique. The possibility that a pilot would box themselves so far into the flight envelope that the airplane stalls is extremely remote. But don't you feel better that your crew was trained for that possibility?

Also...what if that one, single life was your's these rules just saved. Pretty sweet deal then. But if its just some other guy, who cares?

I guess I'm puzzled by your argument: You're saying that we don't have strict laws that save lives in one segment of transportation so we might as well just go ahead and relax laws in another segment? Traffic deaths are a huge concern and should be dealt with! It's such a big and daunting problem but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tackle it. It seems like maybe 'ol Claire should take some of her spare time to fight that problem instead of worrying about why she can't read her ebook while her pilots navigate the extremely restricted airspace of DC.

The difference is stalls are a natural part of flight pilots should be able to deal with. If there is any chance that an electronic device can bring down a commercial aircraft, the planes need to be grounded. A passenger can't sit in his seat and stall the plane.

People who are for this misguided regulation are mind boggling.

----------

As an electronics and pilot type myself, I always wonder why so many people think that rules should not apply to themselves. Especially when the topic is waaay outside their knowledge.

Not long ago, Boeing was doing testing on a WiFi installation. Turned out that on one of their airliner models, if enough passengers turned on WiFi, the pilot's LCD instrument panels would just go blank. Not enough shielding, because they were never designed for such a situation. Easily fixed, but it points out that each aircraft model needs individual (and rigorous) testing.

Want to get really worried? Read some of the anonymous NASA safety reports that pilots file on this topic. Here's a PDF of some.

Everything from Navigation radios screwing up, to autopilots kicking off or diving the plane at the last second, to radio interference - imagine the sound of dozens of GSM phone buzz.

There's also so many reports of batteries catching fire. (It's just a matter of time before someone's iPod stashed in the luggage compartment brings a plane down. Falling out of the sky on fire is one of the worst ways to die that I can think of. At that point, expect a much stronger ban to appear.)

At the least, interference can cause unnecessary distractions for the pilots. Only the most self-centered people think that's okay.

Folks, it's just not worth the risk yet. As more and more modern airliners come online, I think the chances of interference will lessen a bit.

Then planes should be tested for this vulnerability and repaired. It is a safety problem that preventing passengers from using electronics during take-off and landing won't fix.

leavinonajet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Your really reaching. You have no idea what someone is going to value. What about the guy who drops his antique pen when the pilot jams on the brakes?[/QUOTE]

I really don't feel as if I am reaching. This knowledge comes from experience.

So if I'm in the ER and the doc. commands me to do something...I'm probably just gonna go ahead and do it. He's the boss and I didn't go to med school. He also is the experienced one. It might not make sense that he just asked me to go get a glue gun but he probably has a really good reason. He might even know something I do not know.

So in the same instance the pilots and flight attendants are the boss and the tube you're sitting in is there operating room. If they issue you a command, it might be time critical. Whether its a bleeding artery or a descending aircraft, peoples lives hang in a critical balance.

There are alot of things we all *think* we know better about than the person at the work station. Sure, I *might* know more about flipping a burger than the kid at McDonalds...I *might* know a thing or two about teeth but I'm probably not going to lecture the dentist about how hes cleaning my teeth.

If the Senator from MO had gone and met with the chief of the FAA and asked him about considering the things she spoke of I would have been a-okay with that. But instead she put her uninformed knowledge out to an uninformed public because she knew she can get her way when enough uninformed people screaming loud enough. This is how politics work. This is not how flying works.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
And I hope it doesn't pass committee.

Seriously, I don't get why we have to have our laptops/tablets/etc. on at all times. Are we that desperate for a fix?

Because I Iike to take videos of takeoff and landing when I ride on a plane. It's my hobby.

Since iPhone cameras have gotten so good, I don't bother with carrying a camera anymore - I just put the iPhone in airplane mode, wait for the flight attendants to take their own seats, and take my videos.

Not that it's any of your business.

leavinonajet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
The difference is stalls are a natural part of flight pilots should be able to deal with. If there is any chance that an electronic device can bring down a commercial aircraft, the planes need to be grounded. A passenger can't sit in his seat and stall the plane.

People who are for this misguided regulation are mind boggling.

----------

Then planes should be tested for this vulnerability and repaired. It is a safety problem that preventing passengers from using electronics during take-off and landing won't fix.

You don't just as easily retrofit a 56 million dollar jet like you'd add subwoofers to your car. It takes years of testing. For instance the iPad was tested in all phases of flight on all of the airplanes my company flies. Only then was it found reliable enough. Boeing is not going to go out and buy every version of jellybean or pizza slice or whatever and test every single one of those on every single one of their airplanes...it does not make business sense no matter how much you want it. Also and airplane that's on the ground is not making money...so its just as unlikely an airline is going to stop an airplane and put it in a hanger and retrofit it every time a new device comes out that is suspected of interference.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Then planes should be tested for this vulnerability and repaired.

You want to pay for that testing with even higher ticket prices?

It is a safety problem that preventing passengers from using electronics during take-off and landing won't fix.

That's true, and part of the problem is that the FAA is in bed with the airlines. They'd rather risk an occasional problem than scare passengers away.

Folks, one primary reason why the rules are in place is to prevent pilot distractions. The last thing your pilot needs to be doing, ESPECIALLY DURING TAKEOFF AND LANDING, is trying to figure out why his instruments or autopilot is acting wonky. Or worse, getting a false TCAS command to dive into the ground.

Non-pilots have no clue how dangerous the takeoff and landing phases can be if there are distractions or mistakes.

The reason why electronics are allowed above 10,000 feet is because the extra altitude gives the pilots more time to figure things out and/or to recover.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007

Everything from Navigation radios screwing up, to autopilots kicking off or diving the plane at the last second, to radio interference - imagine the sound of dozens of GSM phone buzz. There also seem to be a lot of false TCAS collision alert messages, causing the pilots to take evasive action for no reason. I remember one report where that happened during the landing phase and almost caused a crash... all because some idiot passenger thought she could sneak in a phone call.

There's also so many reports of batteries and power outlets catching fire. (It's just a matter of time before someone's iPod stashed in the luggage compartment brings a plane down. Falling out of the sky on fire is one of the worst ways to die that I can think of. At that point, expect a much stronger ban to appear.)

That's why cell phones have airplane mode.

If a cell phone powered on but in airplane mode (all transmitters off) can bring down an airplane, then that airplane should never have been certified by the FAA and or said device should be prohibited from use in all phases of flight, not just below 10,000'. It's that blatant absence of common sense by the FAA that the Senator is getting at.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
First congress is against PEDs, now they're for them?!!?!? :D

I've never understood the argument that an electronic device is a safety risk during takeoff. Assuming the wireless radios are off, how is reading something on a Kindle or iPad any different than reading a newspaper or book as many often do from a safety standpoint?

Kindles etc hurt more when they wack you in the head, especially compared to a newspaper.

I'm fine with the rule given that many accidents occur doing takeoff and landing and that's a time when it is probably best that passengers don't have distractions. My issue is that they don't frame it that way but give this possibly bogus radio wave excuse.

----------

The idea is they don't want whatever's not properly stowed flying around the cabin in an emergency. But unrestrained lap babies are apparently okay. 5 ounce phone projectile - bad. 10 pound baby projectile - not a problem! I propose allowing electronics and requiring all infants being stowed in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing.

I have issues with that as well. I feel like its not safe. All kids should be in their own seat. Give a discount like they do when they make fat people buy two seats.

----------

This seems like such a back burner issue that I am surprised she gave it time enough to address it.

She probably had some flight attendant threaten her with the Air Marshall because she was trying to play Angry Birds on her iPad Mini during takeoff and now she's pissed

leavinonajet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
That's why cell phones have airplane mode.

If a cell phone powered on but in airplane mode (all transmitters off) can bring down an airplane, then that airplane should never have been certified by the FAA and or said device should be prohibited from use in all phases of flight, not just below 10,000'. It's that blatant absence of common sense by the FAA that the Senator is getting at.

For my last post (somebody's gotta iron these shirts before bed) I'd like to do a quick cost-benefit analysis.

Benefit of relaxing a law for the minor aggravation of turning electronic devices off an average of 20 to 30 minutes during a routine flight.

Cost = A itsy bitsy chance that one day in the future some interference will happen during a critical phase of flight or may hinder an evacuation. Also, billions of dollars spent retrofitting/certifying aircraft.

According to the free market and business your case just lost. Yes it is absolutely positively easier to enforce a rule than it is to not make money.

Also, what came first the airplane or the iPhone? Answer: The airplane.

So when an airline that makes 1% profit (typical of most airlines on average no I don't have a chart or a source I just know from working in the industry...) has to make a decision on whether to have you turn off your $200 phone or to park an airplane for a week in order to protect it (adds weight which costs hundreds of gallons of fuel burned over the life of an airplane) against said $200 phone I'm betting that every time you'll be the one turning off your phone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
That's why cell phones have airplane mode. If a cell phone powered on but in airplane mode (all transmitters off) ...

Even if a device is in airplane mode, it's still a transmitter because of the oscillators for the CPU, display, power, etc.

It's impossible to test every type of device in every position and every combination on every type of airplane.

It's that blatant absence of common sense by the FAA that the Senator is getting at.

The blatant lack of common sense is on the part of the Senator and anyone else who thinks they know better, even without any electronics knowledge.

For example, people who think the phone isn't still transmitting anything in airplane mode!

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Really? You turn on Air Plane mode? You realize that you are violating the regulations then? The rules you are defending say that you are supposed to turn the device OFF... in fact often the flight attendants now say "It is not enough to put it in airplane mode".

The argument the Senator is making is precisely that you should be able to use the device in airplane mode. :rolleyes:

----------

But 80+ books flying around the cabin, each weighing more than an iPad is OK?

Sigh....

You do not have to turn off devices (as in hold the power-button for a few seconds and then have to reboot) during take-off and landing. The device needs to basically in its OFF state (as in not being used) with transmitters off. EMI transmission on a device in that state is almost 0.

This senator needs to stay in politics and get out of safety engineering.

----------

Am I the only one who would vote for a senator for the rest of my life if I know they were part of fixing this terribly annoying problem? In my opinion, this is a politically smart move.

I would be for making sure she was defeated for getting involved in things way above her technical knowledge.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
As for politics, it doesn't matter if it was a Republican or Democrat. The idea is just bad. If a Republican proposed the same legislation, I wouldn't be surprised and it would be just as dumb.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Bingo. If a cell phone could take down a plane, don't you think Al Qaeda would've figured that out by now? Wouldn't the TSA be confiscating them at the checkpoint (well, legally confiscate them, since we all know some of them have sticky fingers)? I want a reason why we have to turn them off - something better than "We've always done it that way". If experts can prove that a plane of 150 people listening to music and reading Kindles can crash a plane, then I will gladly shut up about it.

The whole cell phone disrupting signals of the aircraft is a bunch of bull. The cell towers beneath the plane are sending out much stronger signals into the air. The air is filled with radio signals. These are the same people that probably think radio frequency causes cancer when its actually on the opposite side of the light spectrum from the things that do.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
If someone's screaming brat is sitting in the seat behind me and won't shut up (which seems to happen to me every time I fly) you're damn right I want to have my headphones in with music blasting. Even if the law limits you to only listening to Yoko Ono or Bjork during takeoff or landing, it would be an improvement.

The idea is they don't want whatever's not properly stowed flying around the cabin in an emergency. But unrestrained lap babies are apparently okay. 5 ounce phone projectile - bad. 10 pound baby projectile - not a problem! I propose allowing electronics and requiring all infants being stowed in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing.

Thank you!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.