UIView Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by GhostDZ9, May 20, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So im building another part to my app and i can't get it to display properly

What I have:

- I have a navigation bar at the top that has the app name
    - I have a button to start the timer
    - I have a UITableView to show 6 options
    - A date picker at the bottom of the app in the form of a timer

My issue is:

When I create a new file without a subclass of a UITableView

I can edit the .xib file and put whatever I want on it but they array doesn't populate on the TableView

OR

When I create a new file with a subclass of UITableView

I can't edit the .xib file and put whatever i want but they array populates the UITableView

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????

Ghost

2. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do you have a subclass of UIViewController for your view? You should. And when you do, you can make it the delegate and datasource for your UITableView.

3. macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Like Dejo said.

If u add a UITableView in a blank UIView Controller, u have to add delegates (Objective C thing.)

In your Header file, u can do like this

Code:
     blahblah : UIViewController <UITableViewDelegate, UITableViewDatasource> 
    Or something. Then in your XIB, add the tableview, control click it, drag it to files owner, show it the delegate/datasource. Then it will populate it accordingly, if u add the code right ;)

4. macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I think you're running into a limitation of UITableViewController. It requires that its table is fullscreen. If you want a tableview that is smaller than fullscreen you need to use your own subclass of UIViewController. What I usually do is create a new file and choose UITableViewController and then change the base class to UIViewController. In this way I get all of the tableviewcontroller methods in the .m file.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

How would I go about doing that?

6. macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That's kind off how I said..
    Add a new file, a UIVIewController, and then u can select if u want it to be a UIVIewController subclass or a UITableViewController. choose the latter, then, in the header file, change it to how i said it, u have the methods and the XIB to go on..
    But create a new UIView, drag the existing tableview in there. and on the file's owner, instead of giving the tableview the "view" property, give it to the UIView.

Or grab a book if u didn't understand what we just proposed :p