Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Hey,
I want to get an external hard disk to go with my iMac G5, either 160GB or 240GB as it is mainly just for backing up music and video files in case of the Mac being damaged or stolen etc. Do most of the external hard disks work with Macs, and do they require compatiable software, or is it just a case of plugging in through the USB/Firewire and its ready to go? Sorry for the dumb questions but I am new to this bit of the Mac world!
Can also anyone in the UK recommend a good reliable quality make that is available through amazon or one of the PC world like online stores? I dont need anything fancy as it will be used just for backup only, but with the huge number of makes that come up when searching external hard disk through amazon, I dont know where to begin, so if anyone could help that would be really appreciated! :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
most work just by plugging them in , but always read the sys requirements as some like do not due to software

check Apple.com/uk for there list of external HDD's for a list of do's

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
liketom said:
most work just by plugging them in , but always read the sys requirements as some like do not due to software

check Apple.com/uk for there list of external HDD's for a list of do's

I hadnt thought about Apple, thanks for the tip!

LukeW

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
On Apples store site I saw the Smartdisk CrossFire 160GB FireWire/USB2 hard drive for £89.95, which considering I am a student still is a bit more within my price range than going into tripple figures, and from what I have read you can simply reformat it using Disk Utility to get it to work prop with Macs.
Anyone know if this is fine for just backing up stuff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.