Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
UPS is quite good with delivery. I'd go with then anyway over Syncreon/UKMail.

when tracking it, on ups site it says end of the day but not sure if that is right or if they say that for every delivery. I hope it comes sooner.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Loving my 4s so far

Using the Aussie girl for Siri..I've found she understands me better than the rest and I do like her voice.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Loving my 4s so far

Using the Aussie girl for Siri..I've found she understands me better than the rest and I do like her voice.

Hmmm, never thought about trying her. Wish they had a Scots version as it is a bit hit or miss. Doesn't have to be too broad but it would be entertaining to hear the phone pipe up....

"Awright big man, wit can I dae fur ye?"

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Glad Yours Has Arrived

Loving my 4s so far

I have what some people call a "mid Atlantic " accent, being a native New Yorker, but having lived in the UK for quite a while. I tried the English voice first, but Siri didn't like my accent, so I've switched to the American one.

Seems to work much better for me.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have what some people call a "mid Atlantic " accent, being a native New Yorker, but having lived in the UK for quite a while. I tried the English voice first, but Siri didn't like my accent, so I've switched to the American one.

Seems to work much better for me.

I just refuse to use the male one lol

Us is good but wouldn't understand me enough...there are some words the Aussie one doesn't understand but is great overall

Happy that my battery life is good so far anyway

Speed is a clear difference to me

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
I have found Siri to improve over time - I have mixed South African & English accent and I was getting a 1 out 3 hit rate before. This evening I rattled off a text message to Siri while I was walking to the car and the voice recognition worked perfectly.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is the key....I've noticed a big performance increase in speed across all my apps....Particularly Pages, which now loads very quickly. All we need now is the battery issues sorted and things will be fine.

Yeah to me speed has been the biggest thing, it really does launch webpages instantly...and is so smooth when going through the phone. Very impressed. It may only be 2 or 3 secs quicker but it feels more when you are on it a while.

Need to try out the games...havnt done that yet.

Will be downloading real racing 2 to see what the big deal is with it...anybody got fifa 12? how quick is that on the 4s?

cocoalektro

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Can anyone shed some light about 4S availability in the UK? I'll be in London come wednesday and would really like to hook myself up with a healthy dose of A5. However, I'm not sure if I understood the system quite correctly -- I have to log in at exactly 9pm the night before to reserve one? What happens if that fails, is there any chance that there are some available for walk-in purchase? I Would gladly call Apple, but there might be someone who can help me out beforehand by sharing a personal experience. Thanks!

NVD

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Scotland, Glasgow
Can anyone shed some light about 4S availability in the UK? I'll be in London come wednesday and would really like to hook myself up with a healthy dose of A5. However, I'm not sure if I understood the system quite correctly -- I have to log in at exactly 9pm the night before to reserve one? What happens if that fails, is there any chance that there are some available for walk-in purchase? I Would gladly call Apple, but there might be someone who can help me out beforehand by sharing a personal experience. Thanks!

Hiya.
It's not always 9pm exactly, it's sometimes a couple of minutes before or after (I'd also recommend using the Apple Store App as it loads a lot quicker).
I was unable to reserve one, so I phoned up both stores here in Glasgow and asked if any were available for walk-in purchase. I was told ones that people reserved but had not picked up are available for walk-in purchase from 12pm.

richard.torble

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Hiya.
It's not always 9pm exactly, it's sometimes a couple of minutes before or after (I'd also recommend using the Apple Store App as it loads a lot quicker).
I was unable to reserve one, so I phoned up both stores here in Glasgow and asked if any were available for walk-in purchase. I was told ones that people reserved but had not picked up are available for walk-in purchase from 12pm.

Did you take it on a contract? I was told by Bluewater that they are not doing any walk in purchases for non contract sales at the moment. The only way of getting one is to reserve one either with the app or via the website, which is pretty much impossible. I have an Apple gift card which I can't use online, otherwise I would have just ordered one like that and sucked up the 3 week wait.

Very frustrating at the moment.

julesw

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
go for the biggest memory

If you intend to shoot video go for the biggest memory you can afford.
The 1080p really eats it up, so you don't want to have to offload all the time if you are away from base.

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
If you intend to shoot video go for the biggest memory you can afford.
The 1080p really eats it up, so you don't want to have to offload all the time if you are away from base.

I had exactly the same thought, it is that extra £100..... after much tug of war and pondering, I finally went for 32GB instead of 64GB. Guess I'd just have to offload to my laptop after each day.

I love shooting videos nowadays instead of just taking photos. It really allows you to re-live the moments, even it's just a 5 or 10 seconds clip. And putting them all together in iMovies is just brilliant, to show them to people afterwards.

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Got my 32gb on release day loving it so far

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah still gota preorder but u can now go on at 11pm and theres still loads left

NVD

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Scotland, Glasgow
Did you take it on a contract? I was told by Bluewater that they are not doing any walk in purchases for non contract sales at the moment. The only way of getting one is to reserve one either with the app or via the website, which is pretty much impossible. I have an Apple gift card which I can't use online, otherwise I would have just ordered one like that and sucked up the 3 week wait.

Very frustrating at the moment.

Oh, well maybe different stores are doing different things, as I was told I could purchase it in-store without a reservation from 12pm - sim-free. Was told this by both stores here in Glasgow. Got mine today. :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Oh, well maybe different stores are doing different things, as I was told I could purchase it in-store without a reservation from 12pm - sim-free. Was told this by both stores here in Glasgow. Got mine today. :D

From my tracking of the 02 site it is a very different story across the UK. Basically if you are in England you will have a hard time getting one, if you are in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland they are generally available for purchase.

I don't know why 02 don't do an online sale, I would be much happier buying one from them with a 2-4 week wait then going on everyday trying to see if any local stores have them in.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
A Siri Story

Yesterday, I asked siri to remind me to make an important call this morning. I had my ATV on and the DTS system watching a recorded programme.

The volume wasn't too high, but at 9AM sharp, siri's voice came blasting out of the system reminding me to make the call.

I nearly had a heart attack.....Forgot that my phone was set to play through the ATV too.

Knocked me of my chair:D

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Can anyone on T-Mobile please answer these questions:
1) I know they give 500mb of data however they say this is only for streaming and downloading, but is this enough just for that?
2) Can you tether for free?
3) How's the signal where you are? (I'm in London so if anyone knows how it is here it would be nice)

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
The 4S's don't seem to be that hard to get in the Norwich. I've bought 3 from there from various family members and they've always had them in stock on 3 different occasions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.