Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
WHERE are all the people who are complaining that saying "Merry Christmas" is offensive to them?

I don't think anyone would consider this offensive, but they might consider it insensitive of their particular beliefs.

WHERE are all the people who are complaining that Santa Claus is offensive to them?

I actually have a lot of Christian friends who despise and openly protest the whole Santa Claus thing, as it takes away from the true meaning of the holiday.

WHERE are all the people who are complaining that the colors red and green are offensive to them?

I don't like red and green. I prefer blue and silver, but that's just because I live in a place where we don't get snow or really have a winter season, so I like silver and blue because it makes me feel colder. That said, the whole red and green thing and the having the tree thing come from the pre-christian european traditions, so it could be a effort by reactionary Christian sects to cleanse the holiday of any semblance of paganism or maybe the color-blind are against it?:confused:

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I actually have a lot of Christian friends who despise and openly protest the whole Santa Claus thing, as it takes away from the true meaning of the holiday.
And I'm sure the irony of that is completely lost on them :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13555334,00.html

This is happening at our work as well. No more christmas decorations in case it offends none christians!! The UK is going mad!

Anyone got a spare H1B going handy?
This what happens when you import Muslim after Muslim. UK its losing its roots. Just like here in the U.S. where we are becoming the next Mexican nation. I wonder how long before Sharia will be the law of the land in the UK?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
It's peaceful nonviolent protesting, so it's not like they go around stoning people or crucifying or throwing them to the lions or anything. ;)
Not that, just making the point that because the early Church didn't know the real birthdate of Christ, they absorbed the midwinter holiday that everybody seemed to be celebrating anyway. So the true meaning of Christmas is a feast for the New Year, which included holly (the red and green), mistletoe, lots of alcohol and eating too much.

Modern religious scholars generally agree Jesus was really born sometime in October, but of course now everyone's settled on the end of December. And of course, if you move Christmas to two months earlier, then we'd all have to celebrate Hanukkah anyway otherwise December would just get depressing :)

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
This what happens when you import Muslim after Muslim. UK its losing its roots. Just like here in the U.S. where we are becoming the next Mexican nation. I wonder how long before Sharia will be the law of the land in the UK?

This has nothing to do with Muslims. As dynamicv has already noted, this situation - if there's anything more than a grain of truth in the article - has more likely resulted from the rising culture of litigation in the UK. For that, I blame the Americans.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
As dynamicv has already noted, this situation - if there's anything more than a grain of truth in the article - has more likely resulted from the rising culture of litigation in the UK. For that, I blame the Americans.

I'll agree with that assessment. We have too many lawyers looking to leech off other peoples' earnings, or at least to make sure that no subset of the population seems more happy than another.

While the original article mentions specific examples of decorations banned because of fear of injuries and subsequent lawsuits, that did not seem the focus of the article. The survey mentioned was also news on other sources than the maligned Murdoch media:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061205/wl_uk_afp/afplifestylebritain

And FYI, regarding "Xmas"... according to the American Heritage Dictionary: "Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of “Christ.” In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.” But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening ... Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas."

Meanwhile, I'll be signing my kid's permission form to attend the public school's (non-mandatory) "Multicultural Holiday Program", the intent of which is "to extol the joy that is derived from learning about other people, their traditions and their cultures." Not, of course, to celebrate one's own faith. That would just invite a lawsuit.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
This has nothing to do with Muslims. As dynamicv has already noted, this situation - if there's anything more than a grain of truth in the article - has more likely resulted from the rising culture of litigation in the UK. For that, I blame the Americans.

True but if we can't identify England on a map, then how can we litigate an unknown party?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
For that, I blame the Americans.
You can't blame another country's citizens for the behaviour of our own. The problem here is weak Brits wanting to copy the Americans, not the Americans themselves.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If they don't want to offend non-Christians, then any offended non-Christians shouldn't be forced to take the day off or take advantage of the shopping sales around the Xmas holiday, and even during boxing week after Xmas is over. :cool:

I'm non-Christian, and I want to celebrate anyway. "Christmas" is such a generic holiday that I don't tie it to ANY religion. It's just a time to celebrate with loved ones.

That's just dumb.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Religion sucks. You dont have to be christian to like christmas:confused:
How can a fat bloke in red and white affend you? Especially if you get presents.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
<blatant thread hijack>

Hey Andy89, isn't it about time you gave us an update on the chateau?

</blatant thread hijack>

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
And FYI, regarding "Xmas"... according to the American Heritage Dictionary: "Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of “Christ.” In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.” But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening ... Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas."

Yeah...I heard some dude from Mannheim Steamroller say this same exact thing last night on the radio. Pretty awesome.

How can a fat bloke in red and white affend you? Especially if you get presents.

If I were of African extraction and lived in the Netherlands, I would take offence at the Dutch Sinterklaas and his blackfaced assistants Zwarte Piet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.