Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Guys, I've written it many times now, and even put it in the read me file. :rolleyes:
If you somehow missed it, read the part about "unexpected behaviours".
Without logs I can't do anything. I thought that was pretty clear already.

I followed the instructions and no log file generates on my desktop.
Check the dedicated box, set temp, do my thing, hit reset button, enter description in the pop out box.

Result. no log file. :confused:

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I followed the instructions and no log file generates on my desktop.
Check the dedicated box, set temp, do my thing, hit reset button, enter description in the pop out box.

Result. no log file. :confused:

Me too, I never saw the log file. It asked me about what happened, though. I don't have a bug, just seeing what the log looks like.

Riverrun

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
~
I'm running the new revision on an i7 Mac Mini. So far it's performing as expected, no crashes and no odd behaviour.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Tried many times and I can't get the log file to show on my desktop.

I reluctantly uninstalled the newest beta and reinstalled FanControl 1.2
For now I have to use this so both the fans will get ramped instead of one with ultrafan.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
That is an unexpected behaviour, and I need the log to investigate on it. Please refer to the Beta 3 release post, so I can work on your issue.

I found more bugs. When I sleep and wake up, UltraFan doesn't work. I was on manual, closed the lid, it slept, then when I opened it, waited a few seconds, the fans didn't blow but it is claiming that the manual fans control is enabled and at 100% max.

But when I disable it and re-enable it, it does work again.

And another sort-of annoying bug. When I click it, it shows up (Just as usual), but the thing is, when you click outside of it, it doesn't close. I have to click the temperature on the menu bar to close it. Please address that issue. It's very much helpful.

And please make "Save log on Desktop" work. If it needed an instruction before, please make it automatic on the next version so we don't have to follow the set of instructions every time there's a new bug discovered.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
And here's a request. I don't know if it's a bug or not, but when I'm on automatic then forgot to press reset and switched to manual, I'd check the checkbox to enable manual, right? But it shows an error that I have to exit auto.

Here's the issue: The checkbox remained checked. Can you make it not-checked when that error shows up? Because that error shows up again when I uncheck it, making it appear 2 times which is kinda annoying.

Attachments

• Strange+issue.jpg
    Strange+issue.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 192

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I'll soon upload Beta 4, which fixes
  • manual control after waking from sleep
  • minor messages, including the checkbox
  • easier instructions for saving the debug log
  • minor fixes

I'd strongly suggest to users of Beta 3 to upgrade as soon as Beta 4 is released.

Notice: if you want to save the log on your desktop, you have to allow some time (otherwise nothing will be logged...), and to provide information in the popup. If you don't no log will appear.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Tried many times and I can't get the log file to show on my desktop.

I reluctantly uninstalled the newest beta and reinstalled FanControl 1.2
For now I have to use this so both the fans will get ramped instead of one with ultrafan.

I experienced exactly the same under Beta 2, no matter what i did no log was ever generated.

----------

Guys, I've written it many times now, and even put it in the read me file. :rolleyes:
If you somehow missed it, read the part about "unexpected behaviours".
Without logs I can't do anything. I thought that was pretty clear already.

I know, Beta 2 would never produce a log for me, and by the time i can send the log from Beta 3, i rather suspect Beta 4 will already be out

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I experienced exactly the same under Beta 2, no matter what i did no log was ever generated.

----------

I know, Beta 2 would never produce a log for me, and by the time i can send the log from Beta 3, i rather suspect Beta 4 will already be out

Beta 3 has fixed a bug found in Beta 2, so now logs get output correctly.
The important part of the log, in which I'm interested, will not change from Beta 3 to Beta 4, so if you can send me the log that would speed up the fix for that specific issue, in which a fan seems not to be controlled by UltraFan.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Beta 3 has fixed a bug found in Beta 2, so now logs get output correctly.
The important part of the log, in which I'm interested, will not change from Beta 3 to Beta 4, so if you can send me the log that would speed up the fix for that specific issue, in which a fan seems not to be controlled by UltraFan.

I will try, I am traveling right now just got into KL, have my Late 2011 & Retina with me, so I can replicate the issue.

On a side note the Retina is still incredibly thin on ground, my own guy back home more stock than most in KL, I am considering swapping out the 2011 MBP for second Retina, only I would need to be the 512 system, alternately I opt for the standard Unibody and retrofit two. 512 Samsung SSD`s

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Here is Beta 4.
It fixes the issue some of you have reported, where UltraFan seemed not to care of all the fans.

xf9kq1.png
205tfeo.png

This beta fixes several minor bugs, thanks to your feedback.

• If you experience unexpected behaviours (not a crash, but fans ramping up or not; for example a fun is not very responsive; etc), save a log and send it to me (via forum, email, website uploading etc). How to save a log? Check the dedicated checkbox, set a target temperature, let the unexpected behaviour happen, and reset UltraFan. Simple as that. Check your desktop for the log file I need.
  • If UltraFan crashes, report what happened in this thread, making sure to post your: computer, OS (10.6, etc), version of UltraFan, and a crash log.

Suggestion: If UltraFan crashes, make sure to open it again and quit it. This assures UltraFan isn't controlling your fans from the dead.

Attached you can download Revision 9 Beta 4 for 10.6+ (the final version will include 10.5 of course; contact me if you want to check out this beta on 10.5). The read me is just a copy paste from this post, in case someone happens to skip it.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Is there a way too set the max RPM myself. I need to run my fans faster then 6200rpm.

Realistically no this is the maximum value, the fans are not sped up by the system they are slowed down, even if you could increase the rpm above the threshold it would have an impact on the longevity of the fans.

If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of the Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air horizontally across the base of the computer, however don't expect miracles.
zefyr2_1.jpg
zefyr2_2.jpg

13113194925802.jpg

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control 2.4, or here with UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp, which i personally feel is a far more elegant solution, at the end of the day you want to control your system temperature, not your fan rpm`s. For me SMC is now pretty much redundant with the latest release of UltraFan having manual control of the fans, and i am starting to uninstall it from my own Mac`s. SMC FC was a great app, however it`s functionality is no longer frequently updated.

Strictly speaking Apple`s own cooling algorithm works, albeit at sacrifice of increased temps for quieter operation, this has always been the Apple way and is really nothing detrimental to the systems, i have one MBP from 2008 all original barring a recent fan change that has an uptime of over 30K hours. The latest MBP`s need less assistance in remaining cool; for some it`s simply disconcerting the heat generated and transferred to the case, although it`s perfectly normal as the aluminium acts as a heat-sync. i have to deal with elevated ambient temperature so at times a software solution is useful. Apart from the passive cooling the Mstands bring they also offer a very sound ergonomic solution. A passive cooler and UltraFan will maximise the cooling, there is little else you can do short of reducing the ambient temperature or the system load. If I know i am going to push a system i will close all apps that are not essential as this can and does make an impact to system temperature.

High temperature in general is not overly harmful to your systems, what is far more detrimental is thermal stress, when temperatures rapidly fluctuate by significant margins in a short period of time. Anyone striving for longevity should look to minimise rapid fluctuation of temperature.

The old adage still applies; it`s easier to keep a system cool, than cool-down an already hot machine. This being said it`s not strictly necessary, equally it`s nice to know that there are options for reducing temperature.

Last edited:

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Is there a way too set the max RPM myself. I need to run my fans faster then 6200rpm.

Technically, it's probably doable, but I will never allow that in UltraFan.
Apple indicates the maximum speed of each fan. Fans are very important in a computer, and these thresholds are absolutely not random.

The Great HooD

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply's guys. First of all, let me have a quick explenation why I want to raise my RPM above the 6200rpm that's standard.
I have a Macbook Pro mid 2009 13" which I also use for playing games, which are run in a Wineskin. As u all probably know, the 13" has an 9400m graphical driver and isn't that much power. But after a while my computer gets over 90 degrees, which is waaay to hot for the CPU, and degrades my lifetime from my Macbook. The reason I asked is because I know that if u are setting the RPM higher than standard, the fan will wear out, and you will have to buy a new one. I'm totally aware of that. But because a fan for my Macbook pro is about €10,- and a new Logicboard is about €600 I made my decision.

I agree that it is an option you dont have to build in, and I totally agree that Ultrafan is an app that is extremely handy.

Maybe this is a question I should not ask, but if u don't want to put it in the program, is there a way that you can put the source code online, so I can make the changes myself? :)

Love ur App btw, so even if you answer negative on my answer, keep up the good work. U have created an app that is up to date, but has also the possibilty to set the RPM urself. No other app can do this :)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for the reply's guys. First of all, let me have a quick explenation why I want to raise my RPM above the 6200rpm that's standard.
I have a Macbook Pro mid 2009 13" which I also use for playing games, which are run in a Wineskin. As u all probably know, the 13" has an 9400m graphical driver and isn't that much power. But after a while my computer gets over 90 degrees, which is waaay to hot for the CPU, and degrades my lifetime from my Macbook. The reason I asked is because I know that if u are setting the RPM higher than standard, the fan will wear out, and you will have to buy a new one. I'm totally aware of that. But because a fan for my Macbook pro is about €10,- and a new Logicboard is about €600 I made my decision.

You seem to imply that a little extra amount of speed -- because you'd probably not gain more than 500 rpm before the fans break -- will cool down your system. This is, however, a naive thought, in my opinion, and the risk is quite high.

Have you tried cleaning your computer? But be aware that you have to handle it very carefully.
There are many reasons why your computer could overheat. Since you're on demanding tasks, a new machine would be probably better suited, but you know this already. :)

Maybe this is a question I should not ask, but if u don't want to put it in the program, is there a way that you can put the source code online, so I can make the changes myself? :)

It's not as simple as that. You'd have to manually edit part of OS X and then possibly recompile it, which is of course impossible for us. OS X is designed to always take a look at your fans, and to block them from going outside their range of speed.

Thanks for your kind words about UltraFan, much appreciated.

The Great HooD

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Thank you for the quick reply, and thank you for your clarifying answers.
I am happy with the UltraFan how it is, because of the weather here, my computer simply overheated because it was like 35 degrees out here. My Macbook couldnt get lost of his warmth. Now it isn't as hot as it is like yesterday so I havent got that kind of problem anymore..

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Bug detected. Open at login doesn't work when restarting. Before it shuts down, however, it gives me this lovely message that won't go away until the machine has completely shutted down. It's stuck in the screen.

Attachments

• Machiavelli.jpg
    Machiavelli.jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 209

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Found something. It seems that UltraFan is telling the temperature a lot different than the other application. Please explain why.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 4.07.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 4.07.42 PM.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 152

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Bug detected. Open at login doesn't work when restarting. Before it shuts down, however, it gives me this lovely message that won't go away until the machine has completely shutted down. It's stuck in the screen.

That's how the feature works, even though that message should appear before that screen. If you check "open at login" you have to make sure UltraFan is running in auto mode when you quit it. That way, at login UltraFan will automatically set the previous target.

If no target is set, UltraFan will not launch at login, as the message reports.

The image you posted is indicating battery temperature not CPU, so hence the big difference.

Correct. :)

Last edited:

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I have a feature request. When Automatic mode is turned on and I want to switch to Manual, a message appears that I have to turn Automatic mode off.

Can you make it easier by making the dialog box like this "Automatic Mode is on. Would you like to turn of Automatic mode to continue?" so I don't have to go back to Automatic mode and turn it of myself.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I have a feature request. When Automatic mode is turned on and I want to switch to Manual, a message appears that I have to turn Automatic mode off.

Can you make it easier by making the dialog box like this "Automatic Mode is on. Would you like to turn of Automatic mode to continue?" so I don't have to go back to Automatic mode and turn it of myself.

Yes. I'll do the same for the manual-auto transition. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.