Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi,

What iPad program would you recommend for writing novels? They'll be entirely written in my iPad. As both apps are expensive, I want to buy the best.

I will use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Thanks.

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I have only used the OS X versions, so I can't fully give an accurate opinion... If the iOS versions mimic their OS X versions then I would go with Scrivener.

MacDeac

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Winston-Salem, NC
I know this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but try both. If you are going to write a novel, you are going to be spending a lot of time in the app, so it is worth spending some time with each.

I write mostly short form, and I find the way that Ulysses organizes things fits my workflow better. However, I can see how Scrivener would appeal to novel writers.

My only other recommendation would be to watch some YouTube videos about them. I know there are several that talk about how authors are using each to write novels.

Hi,

What iPad program would you recommend for writing novels? They'll be entirely written in my iPad. As both apps are expensive, I want to buy the best.

I will use a Bluetooth keyboard.

Thanks.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
I agree with the previous posters. Both apps are great but take completely different approaches to the writing process. Rather than gamble on either, I'd recommend testing them out if possible.

If you have access to macOS, I'd recommend giving their trial versions a shot. The iOS version of Ulysses is identical to the macOS version, and while Scrivener has fairly significant differences between the two versions, the underlying philosophy is the same.

It would be easy for me to make a recommendation based on what I like, and I could lay out the fundamentals of each, but I think you'd be better off to take each for a test drive. At the very least, as someone else mentioned, you could watch some videos of them in action.

Happy writing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.