Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
My sister completely freaked out earlier as she launched iTunes to find all her playlists and many purchased songs missing. It was 7.1 running on an iBook G3 (10.3.9).

I tried all the obvious fixes (relaunch iTunes, restart computer, update to 7.1.1, restart again)

Nothing.

She did mention closing a progress window (something about downloading or updating something... she just closed it w/o reading it) that popped up as she launched iTunes.

Help?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
^^^ Like he said.

Since she may have skipped out at the wrong part on an upgrade, it is likely that it is just your iTunes library database file was deleted or corrupted.

No big deal.. just drag the music in Music->iTunes->iTunes Music to a folder on your desktop, and drag that folder into iTunes to rebuild your database.

Hope that helps.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oddly a lot of songs remained in her library. I checked and all the song files still exist on her HDD, but not in iTunes. I tried to replace the existing library file with the most recent one from the 'Previous iTunes Libraries' folder... with no luck. Finally I just told her to drag all the lost files back into iTunes.

I'm still curious as to how that happened though. :confused:

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Well, if she did skip out on the wrong part of an update, files can be corrupted, like the music database file in this case.

Glad all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.