Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
I am attempting to log in to the App Store and Apple community forum, but each time I try, I am told the details are not recognised. However, if I attempt to create a new account, I am told the email address is already in use. How can this be? I know I used the email address to update my details some time ago, but attempting to change the password results in the same old result, address not recognised . I have spent quite some time on this, but am getting nowhere. All help appreciated.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
If you’re struggling to login, you’re best off contacting Apple to see if they can help with your account.

Reactions: 0rinoco

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Thanks. Every time I try to contact Apple support I am told my ID is not recognised, yet if I try to create a new account "This email address is already in use" or, just now, "We have run into a problem. Please try again later." This is so frustrating.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
I have managed to make some progress. It seems that Apple are still using my old email address which no longer works. They sent me a code number to my phone. I entered it and they are now using my old (redundant) email address to contact me further. This looks like deadlock. Why do apple make things so complicated? It's easier for me to contact my bank than to contact them.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Still unresolved. Revolving door syndrome. Just contacted Apple again, and have been told the account has been shut down for seven days. Part of the problem is that I cannot speak to anyone to explain what has happened at my end.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Still unresolved. Revolving door syndrome. Just contacted Apple again, and have been told the account has been shut down for seven days. Part of the problem is that I cannot speak to anyone to explain what has happened at my end.
Even if you could, I doubt it would help, otherwise user accounts which contain personal details could easily be hacked into by anyone contacting Apple and speaking to them.

The seven day shutdown sounds like the account has been locked due to too many failed logins over a short period - this to prevent strong-arming Apple accounts.

Do you have a new(er) email address which does work? If so, you could of course use that to create a new Apple ID. There are several resources to create a free email account if not - including gmail of course.

Reactions: 0rinoco

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
I have a new address, but it's not accepted when I put my name, dob or any detail connected with the old account. They have my phone number, but the doesn't seem to be sufficient for them.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I have a new address, but it's not accepted when I put my name, dob or any detail connected with the old account. They have my phone number, but the doesn't seem to be sufficient for them.
From their side, you could simply be someone else trying to break into the account, and given these accounts have a lot of personal data and are widely targeted (and Apple gets sud if there's a data breach) they err on the side of caution - as they really should.

0rinoco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
Luton, Bedfordshire UK
Thanks. I'm leaving it for now. Managed to sort my software problem without downloading from Apple. My grandson will be visiting shortly. He's more tech savvy than me (I'm coming up to 90). Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.