Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quanto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2021
Lately, I've been trying to create a bootable USB drive with Windows installed on it that I can plug into and boot on my MacBook Pro. I followed this tutorial to the word, right up the part where he modifies the boot security settings to permit booting from external sources. My Mac is old enough that it doesn't have a T2 chip, and therefore does not have this setting.

When I turn on the computer and choose to boot from my external drive, I am greeted by the Windows 10 boot screen. It will try to load for about 30 seconds before I am presented with a blue screen error, which displays either error code 0xc0000001 or stop code "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION".

When I boot back into my Mac's drive, everything is fine and there is a popup that says "Your computer was restarted because of a problem." If I go to the details, it has a CPU error log that I don't know how to read. You can read it here. To be clear, the Mac is totally fine and functional. It just displays the popup along with the log.

Based on all of this, what I'm guessing is that when Windows tries to boot, it thinks there's something wrong with my CPU and aborts the process. However, I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue further.

So far I have tried:
- Resetting the NVRAM.
- Disabling system integrity protection.

Nothing has worked thus far.
Any ideas?

Relevant Details:
  • Computer: 13" 2016 Macbook Pro
  • Primary OS: macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
  • Processor: Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • External Drive: Lacie 5TB Rugged

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.