Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Esbjerg, Denmark
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not really sure where to post this but here goes.
My iMac crashed hard while playing civilization v. The graphics was distorted and it was totally unresponsive. I shut down and tried to boot, but it booted back into the game (I think - the graphics was still distorted). Still unresponsive I tried to reboot again, but this time even the boot screen was covered with graphical "artifacts" and it never completed the boot sequence. Rebooted in safe mode, but with the same result. Any suggestions?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not really sure where to post this but here goes.
My iMac crashed hard while playing civilization v. The graphics was distorted and it was totally unresponsive. I shut down and tried to boot, but it booted back into the game (I think - the graphics was still distorted). Still unresponsive I tried to reboot again, but this time even the boot screen was covered with graphical "artifacts" and it never completed the boot sequence. Rebooted in safe mode, but with the same result. Any suggestions?

Can you boot from an OS X DVD (or from the Lion recovery partition)? It's starting to sound like a hardware problem at this point but if you can boot from an install DVD/USB/recovery partition you can do an archive and install to repair whatever file is preventing you from booting.

Lazze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Esbjerg, Denmark
First of all, sorry about the strange title of this thread... stupid iPhone dictionary :rolleyes:

I also fear it's a hardware failure. The graphics in civilization started going wonky a few days ago, as if it ran out of graphics memory. Still unable to reboot in either safe mode or recovery mode, and the boot screen is still covered with strange graphics.

As I wrote this, Mail just beeped, indicating it had checked for mail. I tried pressing play to test iTunes, and now the music is playing. So it IS booting, but the screen is still showing the boot screen - with the weird graphics overlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.