Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snabbi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Hi, all

I'm having serious problems with my iPad Air. Few weeks ago I started getting BSoD but it was only yesterday I got the change to connect with iTunes on my mac to try to restore it. I got it connected and tried restoring both in regular restore and in dfu mode, but I always get "error 9", hinting at a connection problem in the iPad (if I understand it correctly).

I took it to a local Apple repair shop and they get the same message, error 9, so that probably rules out problems with my computer. So the repair shop gave me two options, they could open it up to take a look and see if the could spot a hardware problem, e.g. with the dock or something else, that they could fix and then restore the software. This would probably cost about 15-25% of a new iPad.

The other option is to just exchange the old iPad for a new one at half the price of a new one. This means the cost is considerably lower if they could just fix it without having to exchange it, but I have no guarantee that they'd be able to fix the iPad if they open it. The big problem for me is that if I choose the cheaper option, to let them open it to take a look, I can't take the exchange option afterwards if the other one doesn't work.

So I'm wondering, does anyone have an idea how common it is for this error just to be a fixable hardware problem? I've no idea if I should choose to let them open it up, on the chance it works, or if I should just go straight for the exchange option.

Thanks,
Snabbi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.