Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JessicaKathleen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
I've run into this issue a few times, and usually it just sorts itself out after a few days. Only it has become increasingly frustrating and I'm looking for a long time solution/answer.

I'm currently using a MBPr on OS X 10.8.2 and a 1.5TB WD Portable Hardrive.
The HD is partitioned in half to both NTFS and FAT32.
I am trying to copy files over 200MB to the FAT32 partition, and it stops at 25MB and doesn't go any further. When trying to stop the transfer, that doesn't do anything either, and I have to forcibly remove the HD from my Mac. I have tried verifying and repairing the partition using Disk Utility, but that has done nothing as well.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've run into this issue a few times, and usually it just sorts itself out after a few days. Only it has become increasingly frustrating and I'm looking for a long time solution/answer.

I'm currently using a MBPr on OS X 10.8.2 and a 1.5TB WD Portable Hardrive.
The HD is partitioned in half to both NTFS and FAT32.
I am trying to copy files over 200MB to the FAT32 partition, and it stops at 25MB and doesn't go any further. When trying to stop the transfer, that doesn't do anything either, and I have to forcibly remove the HD from my Mac. I have tried verifying and repairing the partition using Disk Utility, but that has done nothing as well.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
This is odd. Do you have a Windows machine you can run the built-in disk diagnostic utility on? If you do, try that. There may be something wrong on the NTFS side that OS X doesn't know how to fix, since it can't write to NTFS unless you install software to enable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.