Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I have a 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook bought in August '05 (although according to Apple's serial number log, it was actually assembled in May '05 - I bought it brand new).

Recently (last few months), I've noticed the silver paint has begun to wear off some of the keys - the E, O, I, L, S and M keys, with the E being the worst. It is wearing around the letter, and in the case of the E, there is a dark grey blob inside the bars of the letter and just around it (I'll post a picture when I get a chance).

I did not buy AppleCare with this - £1400 was enough money to spend for a student! But, as the computer was bought less than a year ago from an Apple Store (Bluewater, Kent, UK), can I get the keys replaced under warranty, as this does seem excessive wear beyond wear and tear and doesn't really reflect the £1400 price tag?

Thanks for the advice :)

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
I've heard Apple doesn't cover "cosmetic" damage, however, this is simply unacceptable.

AppleCare only comes into play after the first year or after 90 days for phone support. You get the same technical cover within the first year. Besides, you could still purchase the extended AppleCare any time before August.

I would take it back to an Apple store and have them look at it. They might be prepared to repair it for you. This should definitely be covered under warranty though!

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Thanks for the reply :)

How much would a replacement key cost, if I had to buy one - I can't imagine they'd be that expensive?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
They keys are actually a clearish plastic underneath the silver paint. If the wear is darker than the silver it is actually dirt. Try rubbing them with a damp cloth, you may be surprised. I thought I had the same problem until I cleaned my powerbook one day and discovered it was dirt/oil not lack of paint.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
who looks at their keyboard? i mean seriously, most of the letters have been rubbed off my keys, i dont give a ****, it's because i write like a spaz and use it 24/7

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
yippy said:
They keys are actually a clearish plastic underneath the silver paint. If the wear is darker than the silver it is actually dirt. Try rubbing them with a damp cloth, you may be surprised. I thought I had the same problem until I cleaned my powerbook one day and discovered it was dirt/oil not lack of paint.

I cleaned it with some FoamClene (great for cleaning gunk that builds up on the old Soap-bar Pro Mouse, with our old iMac!), and that made no difference.

The paint has definitely rubbed off, because there are a few spots where the backlight shines through, especially on the 'E' key. As for why it's dark, I can say it is not dirt - there must be a protective coating underneath the paint...

Hector said:
who looks at their keyboard? i mean seriously, most of the letters have been rubbed off my keys, i dont give a ****, it's because i write like a spaz and use it 24/7

The letter hasn't rubbed off, the silver paint around the letter has. The keyboard on my 6 year old iMac looks newer and in better condition than my PB keyboard does.

Trust me, this key looks hideous, and it's not really the build quality that I would expect on something that cost £1400.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
thomasp said:
I cleaned it with some FoamClene (great for cleaning gunk that builds up on the old Soap-bar Pro Mouse, with our old iMac!), and that made no difference.

The paint has definitely rubbed off, because there are a few spots where the backlight shines through, especially on the 'E' key. As for why it's dark, I can say it is not dirt - there must be a protective coating underneath the paint...

This doesn't sound like "just cosmetic damage" to me. The small dent on the top of my case is cosmetic damage. However your problem could potentially hinder production. And plus, I've had my PB for 2.5 years and there is no paint wearing off at all. There may be a little dirt, but other than that my keyboard looks just fine.

I'd take it in to the AppleStore and see what they say about it.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I don't really have any advice for how to go about getting Apple to replace the keyboard but once you do get a replacement (whether through a warranty or buying one) get an iSkin keyboard protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.