Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

In the android world, Apple fans often berate android makers for putting out what they call "half baked" features and devices.

Let's see what the response is for the iPad pro. I wouldn't call it half baked based on that review, but it doesn't sound ready either to be recommended. Especially when factoring the price.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wouldn't say 3d touch is half baked. They had to implement it first to push developers to implement it within their apps.

However the IPP does feel half baked.
3DT doesn't even work for some of Apple's own apps like weather....system. Then the music app 3DT doesn't display anything useful. It doesn't even display existing playlists

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

"Unbiased"...

He doesn't even know iOS properly

5:21 -> "some apps just use iCloud"... If an App uses iCloud Drive, then can also use Dropbox for sure.

3DT doesn't even work for some of Apple's own apps like weather....system. Then the music app 3DT doesn't display anything useful. It doesn't even display existing playlists

Yep, because weather or "system" (whatever that is), are really complex apps, and they really need 3DT.

Reactions: username:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
"

Yep, because weather or "system" (whatever that is), are really complex apps, and they really need 3DT.
Yeah it's too complex for 3DT but email isn't?

It displays information but it's useless info Instead of my playlists it shows a Beats playlist that doesn't exists. I don't have a beats playlist. Why not display the playlists I already have.

3a4f355ad02d62493876284ed089ce97.jpg

Reactions: g75d3

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

It displays information but it's useless info Instead of my playlists it shows a Beats playlist that doesn't exists. I don't have a beats playlist.

Yeah ... 3DT is pretty useless.

Reactions: g75d3

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

It displays information but it's useless info Instead of my playlists it shows a Beats playlist that doesn't exists. I don't have a beats playlist. Why not display the playlists I already have.

You'll probably get your wish within the next several updates, since Beats is on it's way out.

Reactions: jamezr

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So basically anything critical of iPP is "unbiased". And the OP is completely unbiased. :rolleyes:

What exactly is half baked about iPP? And does that mean the original iPhone and iPad were half baked too? I mean the original iPhone didn't even have copy/paste for godssake.

Yeah ... 3DT is pretty useless.

Speak for yourself. I use it all the time. And I know it will only improve from here. This is v 1.0

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I'm loving mine and I don't have the pencil yet. The thing is that I'm fully into the Apple ecosystem so I don't mind. The one thing that is disappointing is the app selection. I had an iPad 4 (before air versions) and I sold it because it felt like a bigger iPhone. I already bought apps for it back then... Guess what? The same apps are the only ones that are even worth it (like Procreate). I can't wait to get my pencil though and I got it to draw and take notes which is very exiting for me (lame I know). But I still think Apple should have done already major work on the iOS to make it more "Pro" like and has to revamp the Apple Store as well so that it bring in better Pro apps.

So, if you aren't into the ecosystem and aren't exited about the pencil and its capabilities then just wait till the next iOS release.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
I agree with pretty much everything this guy said. The hardware is good, but the software situation is not so good right now.

I can't understand why Apple didn't get the API updates for Pencil out to developers months ago. The one example app still has a major bug that several high-profile apps have copied into their code (the pressure glitches at the start of strokes).

I've been writing my own simple paint program just to get a better feel for the Pencil's hardware capabilities and the raw pressure data from the sensor is very good, it's just not being put to good use right now in any app. Procreate is the only configurable art app and they're ruining the pressure data with excessive smoothing (+that blob glitch).

I expect this is going to improve quickly, but you can't judge a product on expectations.

Reactions: DaniJoy

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I have to agree with this review. As much as I LOVE my iPP, it just isn't there yet because of the lack of software.

And to the poster who said he doesn't get how to do iOS, because if iCloud is an option Dropbox is, it is the fact that some apps allow certain "cloud" based saving, but not others. For this reason, I have to have a dropbox account + google drive. The lack of access to a local file system really is a pain.

If Apple is going to continue to prevent us from accessing a file system, there needs to be a better way of handling this. It might mean that Apple should require that app developers provide access to all major cloud services for approval. I still would prefer Apple carve out a certain location, that the user can use as a local file system. Then when we are done, we can go into the cloud app and upload, just like we can do on a computer.

tonyau

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Does anyone know which app the reviewer is using at 3:14 and again at 4:37?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Everyone needs to chill out. There always has to be a beginning. The hardware has to exist first and then apps get written for it. It's barely even been out for a month! You people are ludicrous to think that there should be thousands of pieces of software that are perfect an fully support all the new hardware in that time!

I'm honestly astounded by the fact that so much software has already been updated for it in this short time. It shows that over time there is going to be a huge amount of software support for the device.

Windows is over 20 years old (modern Windows that is, starting with 95). Do you guys even remember what it was like when it came out? Everyone was quick to point out how little software there was... and it was YEARS before the last remnants of DOS could be excised from the OS due to needing to support legacy software that wasn't being updated. How about device drivers? Hardware support for Windows 95 was atrocious... things only started improving 3 years later with 98 (then sadly went south again in ME, but now I'm getting off topic ;-)

The same goes for every major OS/hardware release in history. I mean... how about the unholy hell surrounding OS X? How many years was it before all software was ported over (in particular, the graphics apps, like Photoshop, that are at the center of this very debate)?

Software takes time. I know, because that's what I do. You guys all come off as a bunch of spoiled children screaming at your parents "but I want it NOW!".

Just take a damn chill pill and let it settle in. If what you want isn't available yet, then stay on the sidelines. If there is something useful for you now, then jump in. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.