Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hi there,

I'm not the most competent with technology but i can just about get my way round a Mac well enough!!! I've had a problem with my mac for a while now which is very scary and i've spoken to a few people who are clueless. Right, problem is with appleworks, i can have a file with a few words written or a couple of thousand and when i come back to carry on i can't open it as a box pops up saying "unexpected end of file" I've been vigilant in backing up but it did it on one of my disks last night, luckily i knew what was in it and it wasn't too important. Unfortunatley I am in my final year of uni and have a 10,000 word dissertation to write and can't afford to lose any of it!!! My computer is about 4 years or so old and pretty dead but can't afford a new one at the moment, and can't face using a pc. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. (Apologies if this a stupid question or in the wrong forum etc.)

Thanks.
Kt.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What kind of Mac do you have and what OS is it runnning?
Tell us as much about your Mac as you can...

Kipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Ok, its an i book, OS 9( :eek: ) It is on its last legs, just need it to last another 3 months....sorry not sure what else to tell you, but i'll answer anything you ask!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This is what it means (not my definition):
An “Unexpected End of File Encountered” alert message means that either the end of file marker is damaged or missing, or the end of file data does not reach the location defined by the end of file marker in a document. Usually this results when the file is incompletely saved or the application unexpectedly quits while the file is being saved. However, this error can occur during application launch, or when saving or printing.

Try moving your AppleWorks preferences file to the desktop, then restarting and restarting AppleWorks. It will create a new preferences file... This helps a lot of the time with OS9 apps.

Aaah god, remembering OS9 stuff is surprisingly difficult at times. Look in the Preferences folder which if I remember rightly, is in the System Folder... or do a search for anything called AppleWorks and if it's in the Preferences folder then move it out of there (don't toss it till you're sure it's no longer needed)

Kipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
I moved it out of the preferences folder, re started and all that and it doesn't seem to have created a new one........nevermind. You'd laugh if you saw my computer, i dropped it a coupla years back and it makes the most horrific noise ever now... Can't wait til i can get a new one.

Thanks for all the help, i'm just going to print everything as i go!

inrefrto

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
more end of file

I am using a G5. I was saving documents (small) and scans in PICT form.
I have found that many of my older documents would not open any longer in Photoshop and I got the end of file message. It seems that I might have lost info that I have been saving for several years. Can anyone please help me. I started saving them as JPEG documents now.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Hardware problems can cause those errors too, a failing disk, cable, disk controller or system ( :eek: ) can all lead to incomplete writes.

Try to get in the habit of saving files under more than one name (document1, document2 etc.) until you can get the hardware looked at properly, that way you are less likely to lose a good copy and can go back if a later save fails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.