Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
That is what Universal has to be worried about. They must be in a position where their top names aren't due to sign a new contract in the near future, but they still have to address the issue of responding to their top names complaining.

Of course, Apple can also play the game by not giving Universal the prime promotional positions in the weekly iTunes email, or front page of their site.
Apple is the new "record label" on the block, except now we download our records. Universal is not going to be in the record business much longer unless they control a mega download operation (can you say unlikely?)
It won't be long before Apple enters in to a deal with a major label or signs there own artists.
For all we know, this dispute was the end of a deal that wasn't made.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
Basically the unspoken fallacy is Universal thinks that if they kill iTunes that people will once again go back to buying CD's.

They think there is a direct correlation between rising digital sales and declining CD sales.

They are trying to kill digital downloads.

IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

Fairly

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Cambridge UK
That is one huge "eff you."
Yep. Those record companies are a bunch of stupid frigtards. They couldn't sell anything. Apple kept after them and they kept ignoring Apple. Finally they realized they didn't know anything and gave Apple a test. And what do you know? Oh they're making money, so much money.

So then they want price variance to squeeze even more money out of people. They're always coming up with bad ideas, really stupid ideas. So Apple say no. There has to be one price. And they huff and puff and finally give in and everything is OK again and they're still making money.

So now Apple and EMI and others are pushing for DRM-free because it's no secret DRM sucks (as do the record companies). So what is Universal up to? Are they really using iTunes as a test group? Hardly. They're just huffing and puffing again. They're so stupid they want to regain control of the distribution system so they can totally ruin it and go bankrupt. That's all they're good for - making really stupid decisions.

So I second the motion: a big "EFF YOU". :D

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I think another reason is that they want the test to fail to be able to say to Apple "see told you people dont care about DRM".They know if they use the Itunes store it will go against them,and after thats happened then they will use it for bargaining power in renegotiating the next deal with Apple.

Maye the Universal execs are having trouble justifying their large salaries now :D

pseudonymph

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
The solution to piracy is to embed a virus into illegal downloads. A powerful mini app, not some crippled MS app. It infests the host computer with a perpetual and undetectable action which slowly charges small amounts against all charge cards and bank accounts of the host and randomly distributes it to recording artists. I think we could call it the Robin Hood Virus.... illegal downloaders beware.
I'm glad you want to infect everybody with a virus.

The average ipod owner has about 21 iTunes tracks in their collection. Most ipod owners will have A LOT more than 21 songs in their collection. Even the shuffle holds 100-200 songs at decent quality. You think the rest are all from ripped CDs?

S_S

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2003
Keeping

This thread is making me sick. I know, if I don't like it, don't read it. But I feel strongly about the subject, and the same misinformation and myths keep coming up over and over.

iTunes is a monoploy?

iTunes competes against "free" music from file sharring networks. It also competes against CD sales. iTunes doesn't own the product they sell, as some other thoughtful people have pointed out. iTunes has to be downloaded at the will of the user if you own a PC. If you could state that to enjoy music you are forced to download iTunes, then Apple may be consided a monopoly.

Universal wants to encourage competition and competition will keep Apple on its toes?

Universal is PO'd at Apple becuase Apple WONT raise the price per song. Universal wants tiered pricing schemes and suspscriptions. The public voted and has said that overall most people don't like subscriptions. Again, iTunes has to be choosen. No one has a gun to your head.

Please tell me how withholding a product from a reseller keeps the reseller competative. This isn't how free markets are supposed to work. That would be a fixed market. It's like handycapping Apple. How is Apple supposed to "inovate" a way to make DRMed 128k music sound as good and be as unrestrictive as unprotected higher bit rate tracks. This doesn't keep Apple on "on their toes". You've taken a fair race with one guy who happens to be way faster then everyone else and started putting rocks in his pockets.

Both Apple and Universal have their own best interests in mind. They strike a balance between making money and making customers happy. Universal can do whatever they want with their product. Do I think it's smart? No, but it's their business. Universal isn't this savior come to rescue us from evil. Universal and other record companies are the reason the music industry got in trouble in the first place. I'm all for a time when you can get tracks from anywhere to put on whatever player you like. Using this tactic to make it happen isn't the way to get there.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I'm glad you want to infect everybody with a virus.

The average ipod owner has about 21 iTunes tracks in their collection. Most ipod owners will have A LOT more than 21 songs in their collection. Even the shuffle holds 100-200 songs at decent quality. You think the rest are all from ripped CDs?
Can you spell "sarcasm"?

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Can anyone tell me where Google sells music? Universal are apparently including them in this....

Will never buy Universal music again....

EDIT: Actually i will but from iTMS so they can see more people buying from there

milkmanamok

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
This is the new Google music project, it's actually more Universal's baby than Google's, and it will include participation from other major labels: http://www.gbox.com

Google's angle will be limited to advertising revenue when people search for artists and tracks, search results will be featured aboove the usual Google results. Not very friendly to Mac users, you'll note from the browser detect. While I can't really fathom how it all works, it doesn't seem to pose much of an alternative to iTunes. Maybe an excuse to fire another bonehead Universal executive?!?

Can anyone tell me where Google sells music? Universal are apparently including them in this....

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
This is the new Google music project, it's actually more Universal's baby than Google's, and it will include participation from other major labels: http://www.gbox.com

Google's angle will be limited to advertising revenue when people search for artists and tracks, search results will be featured aboove the usual Google results. Not very friendly to Mac users, you'll note from the browser detect. While I can't really fathom how it all works, it doesn't seem to pose much of an alternative to iTunes. Maybe an excuse to fire another bonehead Universal executive?!?

Looking at this site i would say google has very little to do with it like you say

milkmanamok

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
Looking at this site i would say google has very little to do with it like you say

As I mentioned, Google's involvement is limited to keyword search advertising, more details here:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/technology/ci_6594013?nclick_check=1

This outlet seeks to cash in on the social aspect of music, but seems like harebrained execution to me. Anything direct from Google will be more thoughtful, I give them more credit for intelligence.

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Competition in a market place is good when you're a customer. More of this I say. It will push Apple to step up it's game. Or agree to another deal with Universal to lock the market down again. :rolleyes:

spinko

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
N hemisphere
Greedy majors

I really hate them. They are greedy and arrogant. But above all, they're trying to screw everybody, including the artists. They havn't seen the change coming for months if not years and now that it is obvious that music will never be sold and consumed the way it used to, they are beeing arrongant towards their clients again. They make me want to through-up. I hope they go bust soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.