Unix Terminal Hax

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blackpeter, Apr 9, 2002.

1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

So I've been playing around with some OS X hacks. Pretty basic stuff. RWINS mods, enabling window buffer compression, etc. I'm hooked on the Terminal.

Can anyone suggest some other OS X mods? Or a site that can teach me a little more about using Unix in realtion to OS X?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. Onyxx macrumors regular

unix

unix has been around for eons (in computer terms) and there is a wealth of info to be learned from the unix comunity. one of the main benefits is that just about any unix source code can be compiled for the mac. but here are my 4 suggestions:

1) go to sourceforge.net and get a basic unix run down from http://homepage.mac.com/rgriff/files/TerminalBasics.pdf

2)download and install the mac osx developer tools. this will give you a basic c compiler.

3) download a little app called fink. fink is a a debian based file organization/download/install/uninstall program for people that really don't want to worry about ./configure. It's a great app and will give you acces to many many unix apps and scripts right from the terminal.

4) Install xfree86. xfree is a window manager that most unix apps will use. currently, source has to be written for aqua in order for it to work. So, xfree runs in tandem with aqua (or can replace it if you choose) and will let you run everything from gimp to scorched earth (one of the first rpg's) to axyftp (amazing ftp app).

that should get you started.

oh if you want a more "desktop os" feel to xfree you might want to consider installing gnome. Gnome is a little slow on an older mac and sometime can be buggy, but for someone used to a desktop, its second to none

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

remember to run seti!
    setiathome.berkeley.edu

5. lordsinforge macrumors member

well here's one oldy but goody:

in the term type "bill gates" , without the quotations of course.

and here is something that was sent to the macsig email list at u of m from our apple education tech rep.:

From the terminal, type:

emacs -batch -l dunnet

quit will exit you from the program
    exit will then end your terminal session

enjoy, and if you figgure out how to get the vax card in the cabnet let me know.... you'll see what i mean ;-)

6. Onyxx macrumors regular

truely a great "easter egg". I remember playin these text rpg's on os 6. oh and the command for repairing the vax is

put cpu in vax

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Unix Terminal Hax

Apple enabled window buffer compression in 10.1.2 or 10.1.3 (can't remember which), but what are these "RWINS mods" you speak of?

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Isnt there tetris in emacs as well? I think I remember it...um...in the terminal type "emacs-Esc-x-tetris" in that order without the quotation marks...the arrows are the controls I think..