Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
So I just bought a refurbished iPhone 12 (marked condition: pristine) from Decluttr for $510. The phone seems to work fine, battery life is 90%, but when I go into settings, it gives me the following warning: "Unknown Part. Unable to determine if your iPhone display is a genuine Apple part. This could be because the part is non-genuine, not functioning as expected, or the installation is incomplete."

As far as I can tell, the screen works properly, Face ID works, and it comes with a 12 month warranty. I'm a bit worried though, that the warning, which doesn't seem to go away, will lower its resale value.

What do you guys think? Would you keep it or return it?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So I just bought a refurbished iPhone 12 (marked condition: pristine) from Decluttr for $510. The phone seems to work fine, battery life is 90%, but when I go into settings, it gives me the following warning: "Unknown Part. Unable to determine if your iPhone display is a genuine Apple part. This could be because the part is non-genuine, not functioning as expected, or the installation is incomplete."

As far as I can tell, the screen works properly, Face ID works, and it comes with a 12 month warranty. I'm a bit worried though, that the warning, which doesn't seem to go away, will lower its resale value.

It’s telling you that the display isn’t a genuine apple display. That doesn’t mean it’s not just as good or the exact same thing. Apple gives you this message, so as the buyer you know. What do you do with that information is up to you. It doesn’t mean the phone is bad or somehow defective.

$510 for a refurbished iPhone, 12 (Non Pro) with non-Apple parts seems a bit steep in my opinion. If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Pretty common for used iPhones to have third-party parts.

In terms of resale value, iPhone 12 is already pretty old. By the time you resell it, whether it has a non-OEM display won't matter.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Pretty common for used iPhones to have third-party parts.

In terms of resale value, iPhone 12 is already pretty old. By the time you resell it, whether it has a non-OEM display won't matter.

I second this but also would suggest, if you can, return it!

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You have overpaid for a used phone with a used battery and third-party components. The only company that actually refurbishes iPhones is Apple themselves. Do not purchase refurbished phones from third parties, including Amazon, because those phones are not refurbished. They are used phones which are merely wiped, cleaned and resold. If you are unable to purchase a refurbished phone from Apple directly, I would suggest a new iPhone.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
You have overpaid for a used phone with a used battery and third-party components. The only company that actually refurbishes iPhones is Apple themselves. Do not purchase refurbished phones from third parties, including Amazon, because those phones are not refurbished. They are used phones which are merely wiped, cleaned and resold. If you are unable to purchase a refurbished phone from Apple directly, I would suggest a new iPhone.
I don't have the money for a new iPhone. I've used Decluttr many times in the past, and have bought an iPhone 6s+, 8+, and an iPad from them. I trade in my old stuff with them, so it's actually around $400 I paid for this phone. The battery is at 90%. They guarantee a battery life of at least 80% and it comes with a one-year warranty and two weeks return, no questions asked, and free shipping. So I'm pretty happy with the company and if the third party screen works as it should, I'd probably be okay with it. But I read online that the warning doesn't go away. It's pretty annoying. There's always a red "1" on the Setting icon as if there's an update to download. And it says "Important Display Message" directly beneath my name in settings. Would Apple completely refuse to repair it in the future, for example, if I needed a new battery?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Would Apple completely refuse to repair it in the future, for example, if I needed a new battery?
The era of Apple refusing any sort of repairs because of third party parts has been over now for a few years.

They'd replace your battery. They might try and hard sell you on a new screen though.

Reactions: The_Auryn

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
The era of Apple refusing any sort of repairs because of third party parts has been over now for a few years.

They'd replace your battery. They might try and hard sell you on a new screen though.
I called the Apple Store and asked them about the situation. They told me that they could only do a repair if it meant not touching the third-party screen. Which means they really can't do any repair. For example, they said if I wanted to have the battery replaced, I would have to have the screen replaced first, because they can't work or remove a non-Apple part in case something goes wrong with it.

In the end, I returned the phone. Thank you everyone for all your comments!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I called the Apple Store and asked them about the situation. They told me that they could only do a repair if it meant not touching the third-party screen. Which means they really can't do any repair. For example, they said if I wanted to have the battery replaced, I would have to have the screen replaced first, because they can't work or remove a non-Apple part in case something goes wrong with it.

In the end, I returned the phone. Thank you everyone for all your comments!

I would look on swappa you find better deals and not overpriced phones

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023

Get Rid of that **** ASAP

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The_Auryn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.