Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YogiDimitrios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Black Mountain, NC
Hey folks,

I bought a brand new iPhone SE on eBay and the title of the item said iPhone SE Family Mobile T-Mobile, so I thought that this phone could be used with T-Mobile. Unfortunately, it can't and the eBay user won't accept a return. I want to stick with T-Mobile and not sure what is the best way to unlock an iPhone SE. I know there are programming methods (i.e. Field Test menu, dialing codes, etc.), chips to use with Sim cards, and server unlocking. Researching them, I notice that there's a lot of issues with them for various reasons (i.e. Field Test menu not the same on my phone, lots of scammers out there, etc.). So, what is the best way or did I just lose over $100 (bought it for $155 and don't think I can resell it for more than $50).

Please help!

Thanks,

Dimitri

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Did you use PayPal to purchase the SE? If the seller won't accept a return, lodge a complaint/incident with eBay to get your money refunded and return the SE. It sounds like the SE was not new and it's locked.

YogiDimitrios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
Black Mountain, NC
Did you use PayPal to purchase the SE? If the seller won't accept a return, lodge a complaint/incident with eBay to get your money refunded and return the SE. It sounds like the SE was not new and it's locked.

Well, I think I'm partly responsible. It did state in the table description where it's wrapped in a square that it was locked. The title and item description doesn't state this, so I missed it. Also, the seller didn't accept returns. I don't think I have a great case. Though, I'm not the only one who is confused by this...at T-Mobile, they said they have so many people come to them buying phones that are specifically for Family Mobile, because it says powered by T-Mobile and has their logo and people get confused. I told the seller, Walmart, and T-Mobile that something should be done to remedy this. With that said, none of that helps me : (

DarkSorrow82

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2016
Minocqua, WI
File a complaint with eBay also. They have a money back guarantee. It said T-Mobile in the description. Use that to file. In the bellow it says “or if the item is not as described in the listing”.

No, the eBay Money Back Guarantee is automatically included with the purchase of virtually every item on ebay.com.

What’s covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee?
The eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you in case you do not receive your item, or if the item is not as described in the listing. Vehicles, real estate, items sold by Sotheby's, websites and businesses for sale, classified ads, and services are not covered. Some business equipment categories are also excluded—though they may be covered by the eBay Business Equipment Purchase Protection. For the complete details, see the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.