Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
Tmobile does not have LTE yet. In the meantime they are transitioning from the HSPA+ 1700Mhz (non iPhone compatible) to 1900Mhz (iPhone friendly) bands. HSPA+ is not 4G LTE, but it is fast enough to get great 3G speeds.

Correct, but they do plan to rollout LTE in 2013. Just trying to plan ahead.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Buy unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 in US?

Okay, so Apple has not launched their unlocked iPhone 5 officially. But people in this forum are saying that you can get unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 at Apple stores. So my question is if I do so, will my new iPhone 5 work on LTE network in India. If not, it won't be huge issue for me and I can live with it. But will it even work on 3G in India?

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Verizon unlocked iPhone 5

Hey folks, as the unlocked iPhone 5 isn't launched officially, some are suggesting that you can buy 'Device Only' Verizon iPhone 5, which comes unlocked out of box, even if you are in contract with them. If I do so will it work on any carrier in India or it works only with AT&T/Sprint in USA?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hey folks, as the unlocked iPhone 5 isn't launched officially, some are suggesting that you can buy 'Device Only' Verizon iPhone 5, which comes unlocked out of box, even if you are in contract with them. If I do so will it work on any carrier in India or it works only with AT&T/Sprint in USA?

I'm not familiar with the carriers in India however it appears that Verizon iPhone 5s do work in some non-US markets:

It's worth noting that though the Verizon iPhone 5 will work on AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G network for voice and data, the phone will not work on AT&T's LTE data network. It will work on a number of international LTE networks. Apple's LTE information page details the bands that each specific model of iPhone 5 supports.

I tried to find details of the phone being sold in India on Apple's online store (to compare it to those of the Verizon phone) but didn't see the option to change the country (of the store page) to India.

I have not met this problem and have no idea about this, but i think If you do so it will work only with AT&T/Sprint in USA

Thanks for your input.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I have not met this problem and have no idea about this, but i think If you do so it will work only with AT&T/Sprint in USA

If you have no idea, why did you respond...and your answer is wrong.

The Verizon IPhone 5 is unlocked for worldwide GSM use as long as you have a nano sim.

Alag28

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
the unlocks u can buy on on ebay such as unlock fusion, only works on AT&T iPhones. VZW iPhones come with the GSM side already unlocked

i didnt know that about the VZW phones so u can put a AT&T chip and it will work?.....there charging 116$ on ebay for an unlocking code for sprints AND it must be a clean esn..insane

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
i didnt know that about the VZW phones so u can put a AT&T chip and it will work?.....there charging 116$ on ebay for an unlocking code for sprints AND it must be a clean esn..insane

Sprints iphone 5 when unlocked can only be used with GSM sims outside the US. Its only unlocked for international GSM use.
It wont accept or work with an AT&T sim in the US or a Tmobile USA sim.
The Verizon i5 comes unlocked out of the box for GSM use even within the US.
You dont need an imei unlock or anything, even if its still under contract the verzion i5 is fully GSM unlocked.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T model) on launch day, straight from Apple. I don't understand these people saying Apple doesn't sell unlocked iPhones. They do, they just don't advertise it.

Go into an Apple store, buy it at full price (without a subsidy and thus without a carrier contract) and voila -- it'll be unlocked.

simercool

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
Okay, so Apple has not launched their unlocked iPhone 5 officially. But people in this forum are saying that you can get unlocked AT&T/Verizon iPhone 5 at Apple stores. So my question is if I do so, will my new iPhone 5 work on LTE network in India. If not, it won't be huge issue for me and I can live with it. But will it even work on 3G in India?

I bought my AT&T iPhone 5 from USA and got it unlocked from ebay.. Its working fine here in India and i am using vodafone 3G with no problem(No LTE here).. :)

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
I bought my AT&T iPhone 5 from USA and got it unlocked from ebay.. Its working fine here in India and i am using vodafone 3G with no problem(No LTE here).. :)

It's a great news for me dude...........So now I can buy it from USA and unlock it in India............ But last quest for you: did you buy it on contract or at full price?

simercool

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
New Delhi
It's a great news for me dude...........So now I can buy it from USA and unlock it in India............ But last quest for you: did you buy it on contract or at full price?

I bought it with contract and after 1 month i will break it and pay the fees after which Phone cost price will be approx same as unlocked phone price. :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I bought an unlocked iPhone 5 (AT&T model) on launch day, straight from Apple. I don't understand these people saying Apple doesn't sell unlocked iPhones. They do, they just don't advertise it.

Go into an Apple store, buy it at full price (without a subsidy and thus without a carrier contract) and voila -- it'll be unlocked.

I heard some Apple stores wont do that any more.
Unless you have an account with a carrier they will only sell them on contract.
Not saying all stores but some because of scalping have resorted to that because of high demand and low stock received.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I heard some Apple stores wont do that any more.
Unless you have an account with a carrier they will only sell them on contract.
Not saying all stores but some because of scalping have resorted to that because of high demand and low stock received.

Ah I see. I got mine on launch day.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Is there anyone who knows about any stocks remaining at Apple Store, Christiana Mall, Newark, DE? I am asking about full price iPhone 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.