Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So I have an iMac, late 2006, with an 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. It has a 17 inch screen, but that screen has been going crazy lately. It's completely unusable. So I've attached an Apple Cinema Display (the older model, with no camera), which I use as the main one. The problem is, whenever I boot from a CD, or go into Open Firmware, it shows up on my iMac's 17 inch screen, so I can barley see anything. I've taken apart this iMac before, and I know where the screen is attached. Could I just unplug the internal screen? If I did, would the external one be used as the main one, just like a Power Mac or Mac Pro? Would the iMac even boot? Thanks for any help.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
More than likely yes that is exactly what would happen. If your going through the trouble of taking it apart can you find a used screen on eBay to throw in it instead?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
More than likely yes that is exactly what would happen. If your going through the trouble of taking it apart can you find a used screen on eBay to throw in it instead?
I don't think I'll be getting a used screen, I don't really use this iMac much anyway, and I like my bigger, nicer external display. I'll be detaching that screen now. Thanks!
[doublepost=1475281175][/doublepost]I've gotten partial success. The iMac is running Snow Leopard, so it boots up to the Apple, and then the screen goes blue. I waited 5 minutes, and then restarted the iMac while holding down Command+Option+P+R. This time I got to the Snow Leopard default desktop picture (which is also my account desktop picture) and then it stops there. I'm going to try re-installing Snow Leopard and see what that does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.