Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Didn't anyone noticed that there was no macmini server in the list. This means probably the macmini will get a redesign.

I did notice, but unsure how you interpret the server omission as evidence of a Mac mini redesign. The current Mac mini Server is nothing more than a Mac Mini w/ additional storage and Server OS. Apple could easily axe the Mac mini Server variation as a stock model and make it CTO only w/o the "server" model moniker.

I doubt Apple sells that many Mac mini Servers to make a stock model viable, but still profitable enough to make it CTO. The Server OS still lives on w/ a Yosemite variety, so Apple still needs a small box for it, as an MP is overkill for many of Server's uses.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
A Mac mini refresh is long overdue, although at this point I'm going to wait and see if they also do a new Mac mini redesign when Broadwell is available.

The bad news is, if it took them this long to refresh the Mac mini with Haswell, how long after Broadwell will we have to wait? Another two years? :confused:

My take is this "refresh" is a lot more than a board turn and OS upgrade. Like the new Mac Pro, the new Mac Mini (my guess) will have as much of a radical new industrial design.

Imagine a 1" tall Mac Pro. It may even be a cylinder.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I don't see a long way for OSX server, at least on x86 platform, so it's not strange not being updated, the mini server it's an appliance being replaced by NAS devices powered by ARMs, being realistic who needs an OSX server having choices like Synology by far more functional, safe, and efficient? Only those who need an specific osx server feature (which?) not available on a NAS.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I think if Apple does update the mini, it will be a new form factor, similar to Gigabyte Brix, which basically fits in the palm of your hand. They already ditched the optical drive, and will likely move to a pci-e SSD stick, and will probably solder on the ram as well.

That's my prediction when the mini is updated.

I'm waiting to upgrade my 2009 one as well, though it's still not too shabby with a SSD upgrade and 8GB ram. But it does sort of choke in XBMC at times, and I would like a proper HDMI hookup to my TV.

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
I'd love to see a new form factor. I imagine something crazy skinny like a Macbook Pro minus all the stuff that makes it a laptop.

Once you drop the screen, speakers, battery, keyboard, etc. You'd have this processing slate. Of course it'd probably end up costing $300 more than the current model, but the form factor could be cool.

They could also be used in server environments. (Though the Mini already does) Set two side by side and stack 3 high would fit nicely in a 1U server rack. 6 high performance servers.

But who am I kidding? We'll get a new Mini, and it's going to be the same as the current with bumped specs. It will still have Intel GPU, similar drive options, and and updated CPU.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Realistic Expectations

Base:

2.6 Dual-Core Core i5 (Haswell)
Iris 5100
500gb Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

Mid:

2.2 Quad-Core Core i5 (Haswell)
Iris Pro 5200
1tb Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

Server (possibly may not occur):

Iris Pro 5200
1tb Hard Drive x2 (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

* Apple will wait until Broadwell if they are redesigning the Mini.

* As for the low end Dual Core version, it is completely possible they will gimp it a bit and use the Macbook Air 1.4ghz chip that is also used in the iMac. Hopefully not though. And hopefully they don't put HD4600 chips in the quad core models instead of the Iris versions.

* Don't expect SSD as standard yet. This likely won't occur until a redesign flash storage.

* Firewire 800 port may finally get replaced by a 2nd thunderbolt port (hopefully thunderbolt 2).

Last edited:

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Wouldn't it be cool to put battery storage inside desktop machines i.e. have a little built in UPS? Wouldn't need much - just a cell to enable a graceful landing.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Another reason for Apple to discontinue the mini server is the fact that you can get any Mac and convert it to OSX Server role just downloading the OSX app from app store, thus giving more flexibility to those still tied to osx server.

mausdesign

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Hope they don't drop a high-end i7 option

I hope they don't drop a high-end i7 option. I wouldn't mind if they dropped the FireWire port in favor of a second Thunderbolt (2?) port alongside the native HDMI port. Other than that, the form factor has been very useful. I would hate to see anything else change in terms of expandability of the existing model.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Mac Mini /w a dedicated graphic card would be really nice (something like a 860M, no reason not to really, it performs decently, it's power efficient, but knowing Apple, it probably won't happen)

DanCorleone

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2013
Why not just get an iMac ?

Because the iMac 21.5" screen is (2013 model) hurts my eyes and I think it is due to the colors being too strong, and because the built-in speakers are a joke. I have a 2011 Mac Mini with a Lenovo L220x screen. This is a 22" 1900x 1200 PVA matte screen. I can look at this all day without eye strain.

Anitramane

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Realistic Expectations

Base:

2.6 Dual-Core Core i5 (Haswell)
Iris 5100
500gb Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

Mid:

Iris Pro 5200
1tb Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

Server (possibly may not occur):

Iris Pro 5200
1tb Hard Drive x2 (5400 RPM)
4gb RAM

* Apple will wait until Broadwell if they are redesigning the Mini.

* As for the low end Dual Core version, it is completely possible they will gimp it a bit and use the Macbook Air 1.4ghz chip that is also used in the iMac. Hopefully not though. And hopefully they don't put HD4600 chips in the quad core models instead of the Iris versions.

* Don't expect SSD as standard yet. This likely won't occur until a redesign flash storage.

* Firewire 800 port may finally get replaced by a 2nd thunderbolt port (hopefully thunderbolt 2).

No quad core i7?

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
And a redesign will probably look like the new TC/Extreme.

----------

Oh wow a Mac mini rumor.... I was beginning to think MR was for iOS rumors only.

Guess you missed the past few days with rumors of new Retina MacBooks?

Oh, wait, a joke.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I have had many Mac Mini's in the past and finally sold them due to their lack of power.

Apple has extreme options when it comes to computers.

Either its a Mac Mini or a beast like Mac Pro(discounting the all in ones).

I would love for them to make a Mac Mini a little bigger where its easy to replace the hard drive and have a decent PCI video card.

If Apple extreme wireless router can be that tall so can a Mac Mini. Imagine what you can cram into that space.

No one is traveling with their Mac Mini in their brief case(that's why we have laptops).

So the whole point of making it small like we live in a space station crammed for space is more of a design statement than function and leaving out a very important mid-tower like product line.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
wait

wait, is there a new mini..?

but seriously, this must be happening I mean MID-2014 cannot mean August.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.